Replacement Hi-temp Switch

MCForever

Joined Mar 1, 2014
Hello Folks. I am trying to repair a 120V clothes steamer and have found the hi-temp switch is always open circuit so the element will not heat. The switch is about the size of a nickle in diameter and marked "KSD 602". Does anyone know where I can find one of these other than ordering 1000 though Alibaba? Thanks in advance.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Without a brand name or model number, I'm getting nowhere. At least I can guess you are in North America. Can you narrow it down any?

MCForever

Joined Mar 1, 2014

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't think this is going to happen on the internet. Dozens of websites specifically say, "Conair Parts" and then they don't sell parts...but you can get the whole thing for $57.

40 years ago, I worked in a parts department, and I could look up something similar, find its parts, and fix what I needed. This world has had 40 years to learn how to stop me. If you don't find a KDS602 inside a dead microwave oven, I'm out of options.

MCForever

Joined Mar 1, 2014
I agree that the steamer is not worth spending much time on from a monetary perspective. It just cheeses me off to keep hauling stuff to the dump that has some minor defective component. For the fun of it I might install a clothes drier high temp switch. They seem easy to order. Thanks for the thoughts.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi GopherT. That will work perfectly. I'm grateful!
Check the datasheet to make sure you get the right fit.

Also, digikey doesn't disclose postage costs befor you submit the order, but on one piece like that, select first class mail and they charge $2.50 and you get it in two days.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I see that you found one rated for 100 C but did anybody find out what temperature the 602 is designed for?
(There is enough uncertainty in this to make me cautious.)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
They also appear to be the same as fitted to all clothes dryers which often have three in circuit, one being the O.H. temp switch.
They are plentiful on ebay or appliance parts stores.
Max.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
If I google KSD602 I get correct pics, but only Chinese wholesalers. http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Ksd-Thermostat_11468555.html?spm=a2700.7724857.35.1.RjvU4p

It looks like this and would have a temp cut out somewhere above 212 deg F. It is out of a Conair Compact Upright Steamer (GGS7TGC). Thanks for the help.
View attachment 90654
It looks like an industry standard part to me - all you need to find is what component name/description it goes by and search the catalogues for the right temperature.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
search the catalogues for the right temperature
THAT is the point that worries me.
Sure, these are standard size switches, but I have seen them rated from zero F to 185F, and I'm sure I haven't seen them all. Please try to buy the correct temperature rating.