Repairing Pioneer Receiver-How to trace bad components

TheTaxButler

Joined Aug 11, 2015
In my possession is a Pioneer VSX-521 audio receiver and I am seeking to address several problems with some help. I am newer to electronics repair (accounting by trade) but am willing and eager to follow direction and learn along the way. My receiver is currently operational but with a few kinks. My main issue is the amount of time and inconsistency in receiving audio. My receiver picks up video immediately and depending on the day has either a short or long delay (>30 min) with the audio. This is in stark contrast to what it should be doing. I have asked elsewhere and was given an ambiguous answer about how it sounds like the HDMI board is going out. I am hoping that this could be a capacitor or transmitter fix. I took the covering off and found that the power transformer is covered in some sort of yellow-orange liquid which is dried. The liquid is also covering something called the Conv. Converter I am wondering if inadequate power to the HDMI board could be causing a delay in audio processing via inconsistent capacitor charge or anything of that sort. Pictures below, link for manual. http://elektrotanya.com/pioneer_vsx-521_821_921-k_sm.pdf/download.html

Attachments

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Can you take some really good pictures of your unit and post them up on here. They need to be clear in order for the forum to have a look and see what is going on.

TheTaxButler

Joined Aug 11, 2015
So I have taken several photographs. The large bulky black square is the power transformer and it connects by way of the yellow cord to a separate small board which the HDMI board connects to for power I'm sure. There is another board to the left and connected to the HDMI board which has a processor as well. I don't know if it is the subwoofer board or something else as I couldn't get a clear picture of it. Please let me know if more pictures are needed.

Attachments