repairing a old black light numeric display and thinking up a new one

playful0

Joined Apr 12, 2015
Hi, I am repairing a old old black light display for my local race track. it is 2 digit that runs on 7 black light bulbs per number . it use's 8 pole double throw switch's chained in groups of 11 1 for clear 10 for 0-9. the switch's are all going bad. it is running off ac/dc. at the moment I am having a hard time finding a switch to replace the damaged ones, though if I could find it at a decent price I would like to replace the entire gang switch on both sides...... that's my current issue.

also though I am wanting to build a newer design of one, I would like to use black led display numbers would need to be about 12 by 16 inch's each I figured on using those little 12 volt 36 or 48 led panels like you can buy for your dome light in the car I think the size on them is 2.25 by 1.5 inch's per panel. I will enclose it in plexiglass black for the body and clear for the numbers. I will also have a lower section able to hold a ups battery backup power supply's batty or two for off plug power. so my issue here is how is the best way to set up the led's do I need a driver board for each board or each number? also how can I set up a keypad to input the 2 digit number I am assuming I can use a pc power supply for the ac to dc conversion and to supply me with charging for my ups back up batterys I plan on using. aswell as my main 12v for driving the leds etc.

any ideas by chance?
1 on repairing my broken switch's on current design.
2 on what I need to do for my newer design.

when I get home I will try and remember to get you some pictures uploaded of my current light I am working on.

playful0

Joined Apr 12, 2015
these are the panels I am thinking of using, I would prefer a black light but I can deal with white if I need to. if you know where I can find these with a black light please let me know. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-X-White-...12V-/281635299538?hash=item4192c5a0d2&vxp=mtr

I should be able to just hook these up straight to a 12v rail when I want them powered?
then need to set it up so it can display the numbers as punched into a keypad. I can figure out how to set each number up I think on how to power the right panels (I think) but im not sure on the keypad part.