Repair thermoelectric cooler

Andrew LB

Joined Jun 11, 2013
Well... one year to the exact day after repairing my wine cooler fx101 board, it goes out again. This time though ill be replacing every capacitor on the board since i never used ones i ordered last time. As an added bonus this will give me a chance to do a decent amount of work using my new soldering station, an AIXUN T3A (JBC clone).

edit/

Well i forgot to send the above message last night, but i did get to work on the fridge and the upper board had a blown fuse and the two big caps were swollen on top. So i just replaced every cap on the board with quality nichicon caps, and ill be heading out to get a new fuse since i didn't have any on hand. Hopefully this fixes things.

Andrew LB

Joined Jun 11, 2013
Hmm... apparently there is a different problem this time. After replacing all the caps, i plugged it in and popped the fuse. So i replaced it again, then disconnected the TEC coolers to check if they were the problem. once again, popped the fuse. I'm kicking myself for not buying a Uni-T UTi260B thermal camera when it was on sale a month ago. It would make diagnosing this much easier.

Andrew LB

Joined Jun 11, 2013
Just an update on my Wine Enthusiast repair. I had to go to plan B after the circuit board started to come apart. I replaced all the caps and it worked, for about 5 minutes, then it stopped. I checked around the board and realized that some of pads on the board were loose. So, I started trying to repair those. I finally gave it up, knowing that this is only a power supply, I decided to replace it using a ATX PC power supply. I didn't have any old ones lying around so I went to the local Good Will Store that is dedicated to computers. I picked up a new, in the box EVEA 500 watt Bronze unit for $15.00. I sorted out the wiring and since this whole thing sits under a metal rack I just mounted the new ATX on top then mounted a thermostat ( Amazon about $8.00 ) on the front of the ATX.
Where exactly did you connect the ATX PSU to the board? If you simply connect it where the output connectors are, it gives the TEC cooler full power and turns the wine cooler into a wine freezer.