Repair Broken ribbon wire connection on IPS Panel PCB

AOCSpeed

Joined Sep 25, 2021
Hello Folks,

I have an old 1440p IPS panel from Korea, in order to take the stand off of it and replace it with another, you have to take apart the whole monitor, in the process of doing so, I accidentally pulled a wire that was too short and it broke the connector.

I've done electrical work/soldering before but I do not know the technical terms of how to find a replacement for this connection and a good tutorial on how to replace it, although there is one on YouTube of a guy replacing a laptop keyboard connector that could help.

Attached is the image of the connector, its the one labeled CN1, its a 30 pin connection for a ribbon wire

Attachments

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there. Welcome to AAC!
:) what you have there is called an Insulation displacement connectors (IDC for short) are the ideal solution for device manufacturers if two or more PCBs are to be connected across longer distances
reliable connectivity via ribbon cables.
Between 6 and 64 contacts, in 2.54 mm pitch. You could find them at Digikey ,Mouser,
1632941999710.png
1632942047186.png
1632942117396.png

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
The hard part about replacing that connector will be identifying it and finding the replacement. There are a lot of different manufacturers of connectors of that type. It is called a "flexible circuit connector". Google that as a start then look for similar parts as you find manufacturers. You can also try some of the distributors, Digikey, Mouser, Farnell, etc. Most will have data sheets or drawings of connectors that they sell.

You will also need to measure the part that you have and compare it to part drawings from manufacturers. A good pair of calipers will help. Make sure that the PC board pads, the footprint, match up to the connector that you find. As well, measure the width of the flexible cable, the number of circuits and the circuit pitch (the distance between contacts) to confirm that it is a proper replacement.

The connectors are not very expensive, but there are many different ones available. Some manufacturers may only sell in large quantities. If this is the case, try asking for a sample. Often they will do this for free in the hopes that you will place a large order at a later time.

AOCSpeed

Joined Sep 25, 2021
Thanks guys, yeah after doing some research I figured how to find the replacement connector, I am going to try the below connector,

Used the following to figure how to find the pitch: https://www.microcontrollertips.com... pins)&text=Referring to Figure 1, to,B/(C-1).

Found the below connector:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/5010443010/WM20771CT-ND/8638655?itemSeq=378079983

The dimensions and pitch seem to be on par with the ones I measured on the board,

and found the follow youtube video to help me replace it:

Let me know thoughts if this is a good path, and maybe this can help others as well

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Looks good. When you get the replacement, before you solder it in, check the fit with your flex circuit cable and the PC board footprint as well.