Repacking laptop battery.

JadeM48

Joined Jul 31, 2021
Good day! I'm new here and I hope I'm posting this right. I'm planning to repack my laptop battery (for Lenovo Thinkpad x250). I did some research and found out that this is a bit dangerous. Also, it seems that I need to systematically remove the battery pack from the BMS of the laptop battery to avoid damaging the circuit. And it seems that repacking needs to have it equally or at least have closed voltage reading.

I currently have brand new Samsung INR 18650 Li-Ion batteries and it's unprotected, as it appears that's what I need since laptop battery have BMS and having a protected 18650 will just interfere with how the BMS managing the batteries.
I have experience with building project that includes soldering and spot wielding (I have portable spot wielding machine too which I can use on this project).

I'm hoping for anyone's opinion about this. Your criticism and opinion will greatly appreciated.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there.Welcome to AAC!:)
Laptop battery Management systems
are designed for a particular number battery cells and the capacity (milli-Amp Hour) of the cells in the battery pack. Removing the safety measures off the batteries is akin to pulling the pin out of a hand grenade but the BMS will not authenticate without Removing the safety measures.
It sounds like you're going to do it anyway so when you ask questions be very specific and please do! ask questions.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Itshould be possible to replace the individual cells in the battery pack and reconnect the replacement cells in the same away that the original cells were connected. That ought to work if it is done right. Certainly you do need to be very careful about getting the connections back the same as originally done. If you need to weld the tabs on that should work, soldering to batteries tends to melt the seals and lead to early failures, I have found.

JadeM48

Joined Jul 31, 2021
Hello there.Welcome to AAC!:)
Laptop battery Management systems
are designed for a particular number battery cells and the capacity (milli-Amp Hour) of the cells in the battery pack. Removing the safety measures off the batteries is akin to pulling the pin out of a hand grenade but the BMS will not authenticate without Removing the safety measures.
It sounds like you're going to do it anyway so when you ask questions be very specific and please do! ask questions.
Thank you so much for your comment. I'll do more research about it and ask a specific questions once I have come across one.

JadeM48

Joined Jul 31, 2021
Itshould be possible to replace the individual cells in the battery pack and reconnect the replacement cells in the same away that the original cells were connected. That ought to work if it is done right. Certainly you do need to be very careful about getting the connections back the same as originally done. If you need to weld the tabs on that should work, soldering to batteries tends to melt the seals and lead to early failures, I have found.
Thank you for your comment. I hope I can do it right by researching more.