Removing capacitors the quick way?

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
YT has s lot of very useful information. For instance, see the EEVBLOG or Mr Carlson’s Lab.
The problem is that there are also many people going for the “quick buck” and post a lot of unsubstantiated drivel, which has not been peer reviewed.

Caveat Emptor!

*Quick buck is actually a sarcastic comment

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
YT has s lot of very useful information. For instance, see the EEVBLOG or Mr Carlson’s Lab.
The problem is that there are also many people going for the “quick buck” and post a lot of unsubstantiated drivel, which has not been peer reviewed.

Caveat Emptor!

*Quick buck is actually a sarcastic comment
I don't want to turn this into a diatribe, but I would say that YT has *some* useful information, EEVBLOG and Mr. Carlson's Lab being two examples. YT has a deluge of useless info. You may have been steering clear of it.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Carlson is not the only one that I've seen doing that. FWIW And I agree, I keep expecting to see the pad come off with the cap. It would take me less time with a hot air gun to remove the cap than it would to try and repair/replace the damaged/missing pad.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
I saw the video on my phone, with the audio muted off (I was in a waiting room awaiting for a medical appointment).

I did not hear the very characteristic tone of Mr. Carlson. Sorry for my confusion.

Even though I have the greatest respect for Mr. Carlson, I also have to side with SamR that you could cause damage to the pad. Then a simple repair becomes a complex one.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The twisting doesn't remove the capacitor leads from the solder, it breaks the leads between the joint and the capacitor.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
As far as I've been able to tell, solder paste solder is identical to solder from the roll. The paste is just tiny beads of solder mixed up in flux. In regards to the twisting; it makes me nervous that sooner or later the force required to break the leads will be enough to pull a pad up.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
As far as I've been able to tell, solder paste solder is identical to solder from the roll. The paste is just tiny beads of solder mixed up in flux. In regards to the twisting; it makes me nervous that sooner or later the force required to break the leads will be enough to pull a pad up.
I don't know and haven't tried it. Copper work hardens easily, so back and forth twisting may not be too stressful on the pads. Or at least, less stressful than as single twist.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I don't know and haven't tried it. Copper work hardens easily, so back and forth twisting may not be too stressful on the pads. Or at least, less stressful than as single twist.
I have had pads come up on me, especially on reworked boards that have parts sticking up or scabbed on wires hanging off. The pads are not always glued down as well as it might appear.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have had pads come up on me, especially on reworked boards that have parts sticking up or scabbed on wires hanging off. The pads are not always glued down as well as it might appear.
So have I in exactly that situation. That's why the author said to be sure all the pads are substantial. I am not a champion of the method and have never even thought of doing it. That doesn't mean it won't work if one exercises prudence.