Remove timer

ydavis

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Sorry if this is too elementary, but I don't want to mess up my electrical system.
I have a in-wall timer and I'd like to switch it to a regular switch. When I took off the timer, there were 3 wires - black, white, and red (I don't have a grounding wire). Which two do I connect to the regular switch?:confused:
Thanks!

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Those colours mean nothing unless we know what country and electrical system you use..... For instance, over here red is 230v phase, black is neutral and green is earth....or alternately.... Brown is phase, blue is neutral and green/yellow is earth.

As I understand it, in the USA black is actually 110 volt Phase.. white is neutral, and I have NO idea what they use as earth.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Sounds like you had a cruddy electrician. If the proper code was followed, the white should be AC neutral, the black AC hot, and the red AC hot in a 230 volt installation. The wiring obviously does not follow code.

You will need a meter or test lamp to figure out the wiring. With luck, there will be 115 VAC between the black and white wires (with the breaker on - be careful). If that's the case, you might be safe to assume that the red wire carries 115 volts to the load.

ydavis

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Gadget: I live in the USA and green is earth (ground).

beenthere: If there is 115 VAC between the black and white, I should connect the switch to the black and red?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Guardedly, yes. I would want to meter the wiring to insure that the white was neutral, just to be sure. But it's just about got to be that way.