remote 'finger' to push on/off button

jesse c

Joined Mar 1, 2016
I have a remote control wireless switch and would like to create a pair of momentary solenoid activation that i could create 'fingers' that would push the buttons on my table saw dust collector. One solenoid for off the other solenoid for on. This is 3 phase saw so no commercial remote that i can find and would enjoy the electo-mechanicl build anyway

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You're better using two relays to switch your saw on/off, controlled from the receiver, have you got any information on it?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
IIRC the switch actually is a rocker inside, despite the two planar buttons outside. Still, an ebay wireless remote AC outlet and an AC-coil contactor gets you 3-phase on/off with nothing but a screwdriver.

ak

jesse c

Joined Mar 1, 2016
You're better using two relays to switch your saw on/off, controlled from the receiver, have you got any information on it?
i do not want to do any modification to main switch internally as it does not belong to me ,that is why i want to create some mechanical 'fingers' that will momentarily push the buttons for me. The main switch box is metal so am hoping to create 'finger mechanism' that i can attach ,and remove, maybe useing magnets or at most a couple sheet metal screws

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You may need to use what is known as a thrust solenoid, rather than the common Pull plunger type, there are a few makes out there, depending where you are located.
Some of the 3 phase start/stop stations used the Start PB to manually push the retaining contact over of the contactor, cheap way of doing it.
Max.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
i do not want to do any modification to main switch internally as it does not belong to me ,that is why i want to create some mechanical 'fingers' that will momentarily push the buttons for me. The main switch box is metal so am hoping to create 'finger mechanism' that i can attach ,and remove, maybe useing magnets or at most a couple sheet metal screws
Buy one of these...

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Took a quick look at Electronic Goldmine & found two that might work, 120V AC, & 12V DC, About 7 lb. pull.
Might use a teeter-totter to convert pull to push or for me, I'd drill & tap the armature for a 1/8 in. rod & drill frame to clear. Add a soft foot to rod.

jesse c

Joined Mar 1, 2016
Took a quick look at Electronic Goldmine & found two that might work, 120V AC, & 12V DC, About 7 lb. pull.
Might use a teeter-totter to convert pull to push or for me, I'd drill & tap the armature for a 1/8 in. rod & drill frame to clear. Add a soft foot to rod.
excellent,thanks for the Electronic Goldmine suggestion. I love catalogs like this in general and the solenoids are just what i am thinking about

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
This is like trying to scratch your back with a 20 foot pole.

Can you just leave the saw switch ON and build an external box containing a relay / contactor?
Just connect the power to this unit- no saw mods necessary?

Making mechanics to do this is going to be much harder than you imagine, and you might even break the switch in the process.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
This is like trying to scratch your back with a 20 foot pole.

Can you just leave the saw switch ON and build an external box containing a relay / contactor?
Just connect the power to this unit- no saw mods necessary?

Making mechanics to do this is going to be much harder than you imagine, and you might even break the switch in the process.
Right, and with no assurance it will turn the saw off when you really need to turn the saw off! Making Gerry-rigged switching mechanism for one of the most dangerous tools on the market is ridiculous.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have a remote control wireless switch and would like to create a pair of momentary solenoid activation that i could create 'fingers' that would push the buttons on my table saw dust collector. One solenoid for off the other solenoid for on. This is 3 phase saw so no commercial remote that i can find and would enjoy the electo-mechanicl build anyway
By the way, any "DIY wireless" like 413 MHz transmitter receiver pairs are an accident waiting to happen. Imagine changing out your dado head and suddenly, some interference causes the blade to spin up? Good luck but I can neither think of a need for Wireless or a safe way of implementing it.

jesse c

Joined Mar 1, 2016
By the way, any "DIY wireless" like 413 MHz transmitter receiver pairs are an accident waiting to happen. Imagine changing out your dado head and suddenly, some interference causes the blade to spin up? Good luck but I can neither think of a need for Wireless or a safe way of implementing it.
Sorry for my bad info starting this thread BUT this remote build would be for the VACUUM system not the saw itself . Presently the vacuum on/off switch is about 100ft from saw so often does not get turned on for medium to small jobs due to laziness.