Remote Control Switch

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
I am in need of a remote control switch for a project I am working on. The only major criteria being that the switching component itself be physically small.
I bought this item and it seems to work great:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121961150278?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The remote is nice, and the receiver is 6mm at its widest dimension.
This 6mm may potentially be too big for my design.
Does anyone know of the existence of a similar commercial device with smaller dimensions?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
No. Didn't you read the post on eBay? This one is both micro AND mini sized. About 10 years ago, the government experimented with Devices that were the trifecta: nano, micro AND mini but they were so small they disappeared. I'm sorry, @airplane100000 , You'll have to settle for this one.

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
No. Didn't you read the post on eBay? This one is both micro AND mini sized. About 10 years ago, the government experimented with Devices that were the trifecta: nano, micro AND mini but they were so small they disappeared. I'm sorry, @airplane100000 , You'll have to settle for this one.
I can't accept it. I won't accept it.
There must be as we speak some obscure Taiwanese manufacturer mass producing 5mm nano switches by the millions just searching for someone who won't settle for 6mm.

JWHassler

Joined Sep 25, 2013
I am in need of a remote control switch for a project I am working on. The only major criteria being that the switching component itself be physically small.
I bought this item and it seems to work great:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121961150278?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The remote is nice, and the receiver is 6mm at its widest dimension.
This 6mm may potentially be too big for my design.
Does anyone know of the existence of a similar commercial device with smaller dimensions?
That thing is 6mm at its tallest, not widest.

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
The tallest portion of the receiver by a wide margin is the metal encased component seen in the picture. It appears to be a clock. If I were to attempt to grind a mm off of the metal case with a Dremel would it still function? Or would that be bad...

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
That is the crystal. Removing the top of the can will save maybe one whole mm, but not more. And, it will expose the crystal to atmospheric contaminants. One spec of dust and the frequency will shift.

ak

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
That is the crystal. Removing the top of the can will save maybe one whole mm, but not more. And, it will expose the crystal to atmospheric contaminants. One spec of dust and the frequency will shift.

ak
Interesting to see if the remote would still toggle the switch though. I'm prepared to invest $8 and 1 month shipping from Hong Kong to find out.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Interesting to see if the remote would still toggle the switch though. I'm prepared to invest $8 and 1 month shipping from Hong Kong to find out.
I have my doubts. Being the cutting tht top off is more than likely going to both destroy the crystal and contaminate the heck out of the inside of what's left of it shielding box.

What do you need such a small receiver for anyways? How big is the power source and how big is the load?

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
I have my doubts. Being the cutting tht top off is more than likely going to both destroy the crystal and contaminate the heck out of the inside of what's left of it shielding box.

What do you need such a small receiver for anyways? How big is the power source and how big is the load?
So I can control small stuff. What I had in mind would have a small power source and a big load.
Moving the xtal position might be easier.
Possibly, if i could take it off the board that would reduce a mm.