Remote control on WiFi ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Regards.
Not in my abilities. My 'smart' phone has WiFi. There is WiFi integrated circuits and transceivers. How to do the simplest ON/OFF activation of a relay from the 'smart' phone ?
NO networks, routers, service providers and others involved. My phone directly commanding a next room gadget and nothing else.
Phone wifi -----> wificircuit-----> relay.
Anyone done it already ? What does it take ? An application that sets the thingy on or off and a breakboard kit ? Is it on the market ? I truly know nothing about it.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I use "sonoff" devices on a network and can turn on off, read temperature, etc. from anywhere in the world. But that requires a internet connection and a network.
When setting up a SonOff product, one option is to make the phone act as a router and talk to the device with out any other support. I have not tried it. I think it will work.
----
There is no "programming" required.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I am not sure you can access WiFi on a phone below the IP level. No one seems to do this. An ESP8266 board can be had for a couple of bucks and it talks TCP/IP.

Bob

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
There are many variations of this on ebay. Read the description carefully to verify that a control app is pre-onstalled.

The ESP8266 can also be programmed via the Arduino IDE and there are dozens (hundreds?) of ready-to-go remote control applications available.

Screenshot_20220430-063049_Edge.jpg

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks, gentlemen.
Seems the product on post #5 is capable of working without internet service, routers or other networks. Just like my printer performed direct from my phone with no WiFi in the house. Will learn about it before playing.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Bluetooth? That avoids the IP and router issues. Range can be up to 100 yards under ideal conditions, so it's quite likely to work to the next room. Bluetooth Low Energy is (unsurprisingly) low enough power to work with battery operated devices, though over shorter distances.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Bluetooth? That avoids the IP and router issues. Range can be up to 100 yards under ideal conditions, so it's quite likely to work to the next room. Bluetooth Low Energy is (unsurprisingly) low enough power to work with battery operated devices, though over shorter distances.
Bluetooth certainly avoids IP and router issues. Unfortunately it also avoids the OPs question.
He was pretty specific about requiring wifi - to the extent that he made this...

Phone wifi -----> wificircuit-----> relay.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I got the impression that the OP just wanted wireless control from their phone. Bluetooth should accomplish that without needing to mess with their phone's WiFi settings. I'd find it inconvenient to have to change my phone's AP from the internet router to a remote switch just to turn something on, then back again to surf or check email, but that's me. WiFi should work just fine if both the phone and switch are linked by a WiFi router, which should be the case in most homes by now.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I got the impression that the OP just wanted wireless control from their phone. Bluetooth should accomplish that without needing to mess with their phone's WiFi settings. I'd find it inconvenient to have to change my phone's AP from the internet router to a remote switch just to turn something on, then back again to surf or check email, but that's me. WiFi should work just fine if both the phone and switch are linked by a WiFi router, which should be the case in most homes by now.
That is a valid perspective, but easy to overcome by having both devices use alternate settings when unable to connect to the local network.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Besides ESP32, have a look at Omega2.
Pi Zero W is another option that offers the capabilities of Linux. I have a Pi 4 set up to execute python on apache web server. The Pi is also connected to several Arduino over I2C and can read/write any data I please. I'm a hobbyist though it's a very versatile system. I çan provide the code, very easy setup compared to others I've sampled.