Relay and solenoid

mark easterling

Joined Feb 21, 2017
Hi,
I am using a PICAXE 08m2 to open a solenoid for a door closure (diagram below). This is for a students project. Could someone help me with buying the correct parts. As a school we tend to buy from Rapid electronics but I am not sure which relay or solenoid to buy.

Many thanks
Mark

upload_2017-12-8_12-14-1.png

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The relay needs to be selected so it is able to reliably control the solenoid. It follows that the solenoid should be selected first.
Is the solenoid actually going to be connected to a door lock or just to demonstrate that a solenoid has been operated?

There is a problem with your flow chart. Consider what happens to Output0 if Input3 remains on for longer than it takes to get around the flow chart loop.

pumpkin king

Joined Jan 22, 2016
Its not easy to tell if the circuit will work correctly because you cannot see if the door switch is normally open or closed?
This relay should do it fine...
Tianbo HJRC1-2CD5V 5V DPDT 2A Relay

code : 60-4460

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It all depends on the purpose. Security guards press button (hear the bussing solenoid) until the guest goes through the door. Some are a one click latching solenoid and then a second latch re-closes solenoid after 5 seconds (or as soon as a "door close" event is detected) - or any other option which is very possible with the OP's selection of a microcontroller.

mark easterling

Joined Feb 21, 2017
The relay needs to be selected so it is able to reliably control the solenoid. It follows that the solenoid should be selected first.
Is the solenoid actually going to be connected to a door lock or just to demonstrate that a solenoid has been operated?

There is a problem with your flow chart. Consider what happens to Output0 if Input3 remains on for longer than it takes to get around the flow chart loop.
Hi,
It needs to demonstrate a door lock opening and closing.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
A door lock and a door are two very different things. If you are talking about the thing in a door jamb that the door latches into, that is an electric strike plate. Some run on DC and are virtually silent. Some run on AC and buzz loudly (intentionally), so you know when the door is unlatched. If this sounds like what you have, which kind are you trying to control? Manufacturer / part number / coil voltage / coil current / photo - anything?

ak

mark easterling

Joined Feb 21, 2017
A door lock and a door are two very different things. If you are talking about the thing in a door jamb that the door latches into, that is an electric strike plate. Some run on DC and are virtually silent. Some run on AC and buzz loudly (intentionally), so you know when the door is unlatched. If this sounds like what you have, which kind are you trying to control? Manufacturer / part number / coil voltage / coil current / photo - anything?

ak
Hi,
All I want is for the student to have a solenoid opening/closing about 10mm operating valve. Sorry but I have never used one before.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I'd suggest you ask the teacher as they can surely guide you through the proper way to select electrical components if they have given you projects as such..

On Rapid Electronics I simply type in "solenoid" into the search box and am given like 46 products and a selector on the side to narrow my choices down..
None of those show 9V as their coil voltage so without knowing whats available to you for power supplies I can't continue offering suggestions but I would hope your teacher could..

Your last post also mentions some "valve" which I don't know anything about so I have no idea the amount of force required to move this valve.. Again a teacher should be able to teach you how to select such components.

In general though a solenoid has a voltage rating, a set current it consumes, a stroke (distance) it moves and a force it exerts.. Choose those as needed then pick a relay capable of switching the required voltage/current for that solenoid.. Its for the most part as simple as that..

mark easterling

Joined Feb 21, 2017
I'd suggest you ask the teacher as they can surely guide you through the proper way to select electrical components if they have given you projects as such..

On Rapid Electronics I simply type in "solenoid" into the search box and am given like 46 products and a selector on the side to narrow my choices down..
None of those show 9V as their coil voltage so without knowing whats available to you for power supplies I can't continue offering suggestions but I would hope your teacher could..

Your last post also mentions some "valve" which I don't know anything about so I have no idea the amount of force required to move this valve.. Again a teacher should be able to teach you how to select such components.

In general though a solenoid has a voltage rating, a set current it consumes, a stroke (distance) it moves and a force it exerts.. Choose those as needed then pick a relay capable of switching the required voltage/current for that solenoid.. Its for the most part as simple as that..
Thank you
Mark