Refurbishing audio amp/receiver - add a ground wire?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I received an old audio receiver from the mid 70's/early 80's and it doesn't have a ground terminal on the original plug. Someone cut the cord off of it so I have to replace it and I was thinking of using some 16g 3 strand - the type that plugs into a computer PSU - but hard wire it into the receiver (solder it in). IDK what gauge the wire was it seems like it is maybe 16 and all the 2 conductor wire I have from electronics like this are 18g.

The receiver does true 125w RMS / 2 channel, but it supports 4 channels at once, 6 channels total (A, B, C). It also has pass through plugs (only 2 prong obviously) that are rated for 150w (always on) and 100w (switched).

The receiver has a AM/FM tuner (it's a Sansui 9090) so IDK if grounding is a good or bad idea. There are grounding screws on the rear panel which I guess are for antenna or something, but I would be willing to add a grounding screw on the interior and ground the 3rd wire from the PSU wire - IF that is the best option.

I have 6-8 more of pieces like this to re-cord b/c someone thought the cords were more valuable than the receivers themselves (for copper scrapping - SMH...) and I'm wondering if it would be best to just stick with the 2 conductor or do as I described above for the rest of them, I have more 16gx3 wire than I do 2 conductor. I guess I could just use the 16gx3 and just leave the ground wire ungrounded inside?

The only problem I see with this is when plugging in the devices as they will then need a grounded outlet, that might only be a problem if plugging into the back of a receiver like this one.

On another note, I have LOTS of grounded female plugs from devices like this (computer UPS/power management) that I could retrofit to take the place of the non grounded terminals on the back of the receivers. Worth it?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the device has a transformer power supply then the chassis should be safe to tie to the green-wire ground of the power cord. The main benefit is that it covers you from liability of selling an un-grounded device.