Recover lost bookmarks/user data google chrome

Vindhyachal Takniki

Joined Nov 3, 2014
By mistake I have lost all bookmark & user data on google chrome.
I had trued system restore but couldn't restore those files.

Is there any way I can recover the data.

FranMC

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Do not launch the Google Chrome browser at first as it deletes the current bookmarks to new ones once the browser is closed.
Step 2
Go to Start Menu, select Computer, Open your drive C: hard drive, then click Users, click on your username which it is the user account of what is your using now, click on

AppData -> Local -> Google -> Chrome -> User Data then Default (if you have another user of the Google Chrome, click on it).
Step 3
Locate “Bookmarks” and “Bookmarks.bak” files.
Step 4
Delete the “Bookmarks” file.
Step 5
Rename “Bookmarks.bak” file to “Bookmarks“, please note that these filenames does not quotations, only in bold type text are the proper file name, this is just to ensure

that you have the same file name).
Step 6
Close out the following folders and all Google Chrome windows that are currently opened.
Step 7
Then, launch again the Google Chrome browser, now those bookmarks that you renamed is restored on to your bookmarks to your bookmarks toolbar.

I hope it helps. [Promotional commercial link deleted by moderator.]

Last edited by a moderator:

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
edit: nvm

silly comment that i would probably regret later (not really, pixels on a screen)

googlie is your bestest friends

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Prunkou,
"How did you do that? I didn't sync them with Google."

Neither did FranMC. He showed Vindhyachal how to backup his bookmarks file, from his bookmarks backup file. Evidently the information in the bookmark file had been corrupted or deleted. We don't know, because it was deleted.

I would have done it a little differently, until the repair could be verified.
I would have renamed the bookmarks file to oldbookmarks file. We might want it or look at it later.
Then I would have copied the bookmarks.bak file to the desktop. Rename the desktop file to bookmarks.
Cut desktop bookmark file back to it's original location. Now we have made the backup, and still have all files.

You might want to open the oldbookmarks file and see what's there.