Recommendations on replacing halogen bulb with LED

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Why is this question in General Science, Physics & Math?

I normally select the corn-cob versions as work-lamp bulb replacements. No real technical reason other than, it works for me.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Replacement bulbs for T style halogens are going to be:

• Considerably dimmer than the halogen
• Considerably larger than the halogen

Though they‘ve gotten much better, be sure to measure the available space (depth, of course—length is fixed). and be prepared for much lower output.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Oh, and the newer bulbs will use a newer version of COB technology that will outperform the corn style (many distinguishable SMD LEDs) by quite a margin. Be sure to check the output ratings.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Oh, and the newer bulbs will use a newer version of COB technology that will outperform the corn style (many distinguishable SMD LEDs) by quite a margin. Be sure to check the output ratings.
Thanks, I'll try one on my old house paint lights I keep the 500W bulb in for inverter test loads.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
First, COB is short for Chip On Board, for those who might not be familiar with that acronym. And next, although not for sale everywhere, there are incredibly bright LED lights. Some are very bright, very good quality, and quite expensive. (Your opinion about the price may differ.)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Is this the new COB
or is it something else?
Yes, but…

It is rated at 2000lm—if that is accurate (and it is often overstated) then it is not a “200W equivalent”. Halogen bulbs typically produce 20lm/W so that would make is a 100W equivalent, if true.

Second, it has a 3000K color temperature which is quite “warm” (ironically, since it is actually quite cool, temperature-wise). It’s a very pleasant option for general lighting but probably not ideal for task lighting. ≥4000K and ≤~6000K with high CRI (Color Rendering Index) is a much better choice for a variety of reasons.

One of them is the apparent brightness which changes with color temperature, even if two emitters produce the same output in lumens, a 3KK emitter will not be as useful for sheer lighting as a 5KK one (for example).

You can tell by the very orangey color of the phosphor coating it is a warm light, and I would prefer it for room lighting over something “cooler” to be sure.

If 2000lm at 3000K is good for you, it’s probably a good choice but keep the 20lm/W rule of thumb in mind when selecting a replacement.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks, I'll try one on my old house paint lights I keep the 500W bulb in for inverter test loads.
See my reply, above. Make sure you choose something with enough output at an appropriate color temperature for the application and I am sure you will find them really quite good.