Recommendations for online learning resource for general electronics?

Dolmetscher007

Joined Mar 21, 2019
This forums has been an absolutely excellent resource for me! I work in software technology but have no experience with electronics other than my own reading of books and about a bazillion YouTube videos on general electronics. I hate to sound cliché, but I'd really like to make 2021 the year that I really get a firmer grasp on electronics and how to start actually designing and building my own prototypes as well as reverse engineering some extremely basic circuits. As awesome as you guys are on this forum, I don't think it is the best use of anyone's time for me to just post every single ad-hoc question I have about the basics of circuits.

I was wondering if any of you have any particular online resources that you can highly recommend to me for learning electronics. I've taken a look at pretty much all the heavily advertised online education platforms like: LinkedIn Learning (fka, Lynda.com), Skillshare, Team Treehouse, Pluralsight, Brilliant.org, Coursera, and Udemy. Since I do a lot of computer coding, some of these platforms are extremely helpful. However, when it comes to actual electronics, they all seem to have a handful of classes that look good in their description, and even have good reviews... but you can tell by sheer numbers that electronics is not the focus of any of these platforms. So, I thought that I'd ask around before I invest any serious cash in one of these platforms to see if any of you guys have had any remarkable success with online education.

Feel free to stop reading here... I tend to blah blah on and on in forums posts, sometimes forgetting that folks don't really care about every little thought I have. Ha ha ha!!!
For added clarification, my main focus is on analog audio signal circuits: Guitar amplifiers (solid state and valve), analog guitar effects pedals, analog recording audio processing such as EQ, compression, phasing, and analog reverb such as plate and spring reverb technology. I am also equally as interested in learning as much as I can about power supply circuits. For example, all guitar effects pedals seem to just use either a 9V battery or require a 9V wall wart power supply. I'd like to, at the very least, learn what is going on inside a 9V wall wart, if not learn how to design and build one myself (not, just from a Jameco kit).

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
For added clarification, my main focus is on analog audio signal circuits: Guitar amplifiers (solid state and valve), analog guitar effects pedals, analog recording audio processing such as EQ, compression, phasing, and analog reverb such as plate and spring reverb technology. I am also equally as interested in learning as much as I can about power supply circuits.
Find some schematics for circuits that are known to work and try to understand what every component does. If you can understand why every component and value was selected, you'll likely be ready to design your own circuits.
I'd like to, at the very least, learn what is going on inside a 9V wall wart, if not learn how to design and build one myself (not, just from a Jameco kit).
There are several variants: transformer with no regulator (unregulated wall wart), transformer with regulator (regulated wall wart), and switching supplies.
about a bazillion YouTube videos on general electronics
Be careful about YouTube content. It's rarely vetted. If it's being done by a credentialed EE, it'll be more reliable.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
This forums has been an absolutely excellent resource for me! I work in software technology but have no experience with electronics other than my own reading of books and about a bazillion YouTube videos on general electronics. I hate to sound cliché, but I'd really like to make 2021 the year that I really get a firmer grasp on electronics and how to start actually designing and building my own prototypes as well as reverse engineering some extremely basic circuits. As awesome as you guys are on this forum, I don't think it is the best use of anyone's time for me to just post every single ad-hoc question I have about the basics of circuits.

I was wondering if any of you have any particular online resources that you can highly recommend to me for learning electronics. I've taken a look at pretty much all the heavily advertised online education platforms like: LinkedIn Learning (fka, Lynda.com), Skillshare, Team Treehouse, Pluralsight, Brilliant.org, Coursera, and Udemy. Since I do a lot of computer coding, some of these platforms are extremely helpful. However, when it comes to actual electronics, they all seem to have a handful of classes that look good in their description, and even have good reviews... but you can tell by sheer numbers that electronics is not the focus of any of these platforms. So, I thought that I'd ask around before I invest any serious cash in one of these platforms to see if any of you guys have had any remarkable success with online education.

Feel free to stop reading here... I tend to blah blah on and on in forums posts, sometimes forgetting that folks don't really care about every little thought I have. Ha ha ha!!!
For added clarification, my main focus is on analog audio signal circuits: Guitar amplifiers (solid state and valve), analog guitar effects pedals, analog recording audio processing such as EQ, compression, phasing, and analog reverb such as plate and spring reverb technology. I am also equally as interested in learning as much as I can about power supply circuits. For example, all guitar effects pedals seem to just use either a 9V battery or require a 9V wall wart power supply. I'd like to, at the very least, learn what is going on inside a 9V wall wart, if not learn how to design and build one myself (not, just from a Jameco kit).
I know this isn't online, but you might find it in PDF somewhere. Otherwise- get the book, you can read it anywhere you happen to be. Cannot stress this book enough for anyone who wants to get a solid start:

Title: Understanding Basic Electronics, 1st Ed.
Publisher: The American Radio Relay League
ISBN: 0-87259-398-3