Recent Jeep LED Light Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredwolff

Joined Jul 1, 2017
Hi all,

I designed some advanced wiring to accommodate some new LED lighting into my 2003 Jeep Wrangler. The idea here is to make the wiring functional but nearly invisible unless you're really looking for it. So, in other words, when you open the hood you shouldn’t see a mess of wires or even relays.

I also put an extra emphasis on safety and proper wiring techniques. Some of the tutorials on the web I've seen are terrifying! Learn the right way to do things right here in this tutorial.

Check out the videos below and all the resources for the project. The bill of materials and other project resources can be obtained from the links below:

Now on to the good stuff!

Planning

I planned this project out in my head but it's always good to get it down on paper somehow. Out of all the CAD programs I use on a daily basis, EagleCAD is the fastest to work with to go from nothing to something.

In the first video above, I outline how I'm using Eagle to create the schematics. I go through the techniques and the reasoning of why I designed it the way I did. It's a great primer for folks who are also not so familiar with EagleCAD.

In the second video, I go into depth of the finish schematic and the added features I introduced vs the first schematic. This includes the addition of some relays, an additional switch and fuses.

Make the schematic yours. Just don't skimp on the relays (where needed) and fuses!

The Techniques

In the videos above, I outline the main techniques of making connections in this project. The first video outlines the use of butt splices and shrink wrap for wire-to-wire connections. This was my most common connection outside the cab of the vehicle. It will provide protection and keep your circuits running for a long time.

The first video also goes into detail of how ferrules come into play and how important they are for making secure and safe connections inside the cab of the vehicle.

The second and third videos go into detail on how to integrate an automotive type connector into the circuitry. These connectors make it handy if the LED lights need to be replaced or upgraded in the future. Again some good techniques in here but they were not nearly used as much.

The Tour

Finally, I review all the wiring I did from inside all the way to the outside. It's a brief overview but a good summary of what was originally an idea that turned into a reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.