Recent Graduate- Electrical Engineering

Jhonatan De Leon

Joined Feb 7, 2018
Hello guys,

Few months ago I got my BE in Electrical Engineering. I have been working as the IT manager for a university for two years now. During my school days this job allow me to get some money and do my homework, now its time for me to leave. unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out what im going to do with this engineering degree, the field so huge like something I didn't expect. i have to be honest i feel frustrated because i dont
not know what path to follow.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I have no idea of what is in demand.....or your personal idea of a career.

I would recommend something that interest you and something that you can compete in.

How about your IT work. Was it heavy in networking? Did you care for it?

Networking is a whole science in it's self.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Starting to look for a job after you graduate is too late. You should have been doing internships while you were in school to gain some practical work experience and establish some contacts who were impressed by your work ethic and abilities.

It would seem that your school wasn't on many company recruitment lists and you didn't benefit from on-site recruiter visits.

Get referrals and contacts from your instructors; which you also should have done before you graduated.

Not knowing what you want to do is a serious disadvantage.

Jhonatan De Leon

Joined Feb 7, 2018
Starting to look for a job after you graduate is too late. You should have been doing internships while you were in school to gain some practical work experience and establish some contacts who were impressed by your work ethic and abilities.

It would seem that your school wasn't on many company recruitment lists and you didn't benefit from on-site recruiter visits.

Get referrals and contacts from your instructors; which you also should have done before you graduated.

I approached the whole situation wrong, thinking that my current job would be relevance to my engineering career since i stated as a snipe college assistant and escalate all the way to the manager position but i was wrong. i know im in disadvantage now and i regret not realizing this before but i have the disposition to move forward just looking for some guidance.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
If you've already got a degree in electrical engineering, I would suggest you look for a job with a consulting firm.

If you have demonstrated work history with a consultant and worked as an engineer in training (EIT), you could qualify to take the state licensing test for a professional engineer's license. From my experience working for a government agency (the city's mass transit operator), I know there are a lot of openings for licensed engineers who act as in house consultants.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
just looking for some guidance
The first thing you need to do is determine what you're good at and what you're interested in, what companies you'd like to work for, where you'd like to live, etc.

Then get referrals and contacts from your instructors and classmates; particularly classmates who were ahead of you and are already working. If they're confident of your abilities, they may give you a referral.

Tako

Joined Oct 21, 2014
Why you worried? You have experience as IT manager for a university. That's something. Moreover if you have knowledge in IT or electronics (that's something you like) then what's the problem? Define what would you like to do and start searching. See if you can stay in the city you are or you must move to pursue your dreams.

Jhonatan De Leon

Joined Feb 7, 2018
Hello guys,
New update, I believe i have found a path to follow in this troublesome dilemma of mine. All this time have been doing research on different engineering disciplines and this is what I feel I should do. Im already preparing to take the Fundamental of Engineering exam (FE) to hopefully advance become a Professional Engineering when the time is right, Im reaching for a consulting or manufacturing firm/company to enter has an Entry-Level Electrical engineering to gain experience, my ultimate goal would be to become a Control and Instrumentation Engineer ( C&I Engineer). This is what I feel suits and I'll give it my best.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
n
I actually enjoyed much my semiconductors class, power, circuit design and logic gate
Never determine your career path based solely on demand. Demands come and go. Your passion will not. Do what you really want to, and you will become so good at it you will CREATE the demand.

For me, the tickled fancy was RF. It's served me well for nigh unto 50 years.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008

It's never too late! Ideally, you know what you want to do at a young age (as I did), but there's no need to be destined by your past. What would you do NOW if you couldn't get paid a dime to do it? That is what you're supposed to be doing. Do it, and the money will follow.