Receiving "time step too short" error when trying to run simulation in LTSpice

penchansky.e

Joined Feb 26, 2016
Hi,

Right now I am trying to run a simulation in LTSpice and receiving the error, "time step too short" error. However, the value it shows me for the timestep being used does not seem to correspond with what I had set for the maximum timestep through the Edit Simulation Cmd in the program. Would anyone be able to help advise me as to what to do?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I understand the message occurs when a voltage/current transient is too steep for LTS to resolve (but I'm a relatively new convert to LTS, so that may not be the case). Sometimes just tweaking a component value/parameter slightly solves the problem. I've not found changing the maximum timestep value to help, and don't see why it would. I'd love to know if there's a consistent cure.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi,

Right now I am trying to run a simulation in LTSpice and receiving the error, "time step too short" error. However, the value it shows me for the timestep being used does not seem to correspond with what I had set for the maximum timestep through the Edit Simulation Cmd in the program. Would anyone be able to help advise me as to what to do?
There are many possible causes for the error message.

Post your schematic or the LTspice .asc file.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
And sometimes selecting the Gear or Trapezoidal Integration method in the Spice tab under the Tools/Control Panel will help.