Realizing Binary division with adder and counter

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Simplify the problem. Forget the adder and counter.
How would you divide 12 by 4 without division?
(This is one case where Common Core Math might have an advantage)
You can use pictures on a piece of paper...

Benaida Mamoune

Joined Dec 15, 2016
Simplify the problem. Forget the adder and counter.
How would you divide 12 by 4 without division?
(This is one case where Common Core Math might have an advantage)
You can use pictures on a piece of paper...
to realize division without division i think by soustraction

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The result is the number of subtraction, I make a counter that counts the number of subtraction
I think that will work. Do you know what happens if you add the twos complement of a number to another number? For example: what happens if you add the twos complement of 4 to 12? What happens if you do it again? And again?

Benaida Mamoune

Joined Dec 15, 2016
sorry i don't understand what do you mean pleas this is my gmail <snip>
can i contact you if you can ,thank you

Moderator edit: removed email address in order to avoid spammers

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
yeah i know ,but how to realize that !!
As you said in your original post: with a counter and an adder. What you need in addition is a state machine, that given two input values and a START signal performs repeated addition and increment operations until the dividend is less than or equal to 0. When this happens you light an LED that signals completion and you stop.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
this is what i test
And are we supposed to just magically know everything about that circuit? What and where are the inputs? What and where are the outputs? How is it supposed to function? Does it work? If not, what is it actually doing? YOU are the one that has that information. Don't expect people that you are asking for free assistance to spend a bunch of time guessing about things that YOU should be able to state clearly.

My first impression of that circuit is that it is "a happening" -- meaning that it is largely thrown together almost randomly with the hope that somehow it will happen to work.

Describe the logic behind your design process.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
My first impression of that circuit is that it is "a happening" -- meaning that it is largely thrown together almost randomly with the hope that somehow it will happen to work.
In a career spanning half a century I only saw one example of this. I think the guy was...ah....hitting the herbs harder than most. I was the junior firmware engineer and I kept complaining that his hardware did not work and was...ah....less than reliable to the hoots and catcalls of the senior engineering staff. He kept this up for almost 6 months until his boss finally took a look at the design. He walked off to his office and emerged four hours later with a hand drawn design for a bit banging interface. He asked me how long it would take to write the firmware for this bit banging interface and I said about four hours. During that four hours his tech made a wire wrap board. I delivered the firmware on time and that was the beginning of my period of extreme credibility.

It was truly a happening.