Real Binary editor

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Software running on PCs with Windows OS.

I can throw something together for you to be able to edit a binary string.... and either save it to file or copy it to clipboard to paste into another application.... How is this data going to be imported into editor, can you copy it and possibly paste it into the editor window? or is it in a file? If it is in a file can you get me a sample?

Check out the screen shot and let me know if this is close to what you are talking about...

Attachments

Last edited:

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I can throw something together for you to be able to edit a binary string.... and either save it to file or copy it to clipboard to paste into another application....
Thanks for the offer. I do not have a need for the software yet but just wonder whether such software exists. I saw someone in another forum asking the same question so I also give it a try here.

How is this data going to be imported into editor, can you copy it and possibly paste it into the editor window? or is it in a file? If it is in a file can you get me a sample?
It will be just any data in a binary file.

Check out the screen shot and let me know if this is close to what you are talking about...
In the screen shot, one can replace a bit value with either 0 or 1 so in effect it is just a normal binary or hex editor. A real binary editor would let user insert/delete bit(s) in the file.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Well, this is just the start of the app, this is just something I had thrown together within a few minutes, and I will definitely add those capabilities..... If you can think any other things it would need let me know....
For such a application to be useful, it should look a lot like an hex editor, with address at left and ASCII equivalent at the right column; except the middle column display should be bit values and not HEX values. Many hex editors already allow user to display the data in this format. This includes the free Neo Hex editor you have suggested in the link above although when I tried it the bit insert/delete feature is not there.

The only thing missing from all these editors is the capability to insert/delete bit(s) other than in multiples of 8-bit at a time.