Read NFC value of a glucose sensor

emam123

Joined Jan 14, 2021
Dear all,
I need to read the measured values of a glucose sensor (freestyle libre from Abbott) with a microcontroller and to do some processing of the data.
Usually the sensor sends the measured values by NFC to a device (provided by the supplier) with a LCD to show the data.
But i would like to read this NFC data with a microcontroller to do some tasks based on the results...
Could you please tell me if there is a way to read the NFC data ?
I saw that the sensor uses this sensor : RF430FRL152H NFC Sensor.
Thanks alot for the help

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Source: St. Elsewhere
I need to realize a system which measures continously blood glucose level with a biosensor, and then activate an insulin pump when the level is low or high etc.
For that I am thinking to use a microcontroller to read the sensor and then send a signal to pump (or a valve to open and close).
I don't have much of a problem with reading the signal. The FDA (USA) certainly will if it is not properly licensed. Since you are student, I assum this is a homework assignment and not for real product.

If it is for a real product, I am far more concerned about the harm, perhaps to yourself, that you may cause.

So, is it a school project? If not, do you have any plans to use it?

emam123

Joined Jan 14, 2021
Thank you ,
Could you please tell me how to read? And can we read a sensor data easily like this ?!

no i am not locked to a specific microcontroller. But what i want is to activate / desactivate an insulin pump automatically when the level of glucose is high ( or low).
Thats why i though about a microcontroller.
Otherwise i am also interested by other solutions if exist..
Thank you !!

emam123

Joined Jan 14, 2021
Yes school project, the goal is to build automatique insulin injection depending the glucose level. Any kind of solution ( microcontroller or others are ok).
I am a bit confused about this NFC. In advance thank you

emam123

Joined Jan 14, 2021
Thank you , yes we have biologists in our group to calculate the insulin level :)
I found the protocol and the type of transmitter ( which is RF 430FRL152H from texas instruments).
Then i searched a bit and i found reader for this type of sensor and protocol in this example:

https://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa233/s...34237&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

So you think if i buy this reader, can i extract the measured value of glucose ? Of course i will try to figure out myself, but i would like to be sure that i am going to right direction.
Many thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hey, it's you homework, not mine.

This site, when its moderators are awake, requires those doing homework to show their best efforts.

FWIW: The Libre 14 day sensor does have an Android and MacOS app.

A reminder: The sensor won't read anything for the first 60 minutes after activation. For the next 9-10 hours or so, you get the icon of a glucose strip which reminds you not to trust it. A family member uses the Libre. I do the sensor placement/activation and sending it back if I have to. We use their integraded strip meter and sensor reader.

I know from talking with Abbott, that there is supposedly another device that does alerts. That MIGHT use bluetooth technology and be more appropriate. Not sure. I have not had time to research it. I'm considering a CGM for myself.