Re tuning the Pickit2

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
With the Pickit3 If I don't go through exactly the right sequence when making a connection it gives me all kinds of no connection messages, I also get them occasionally after connection, not so with the ver2.
Max.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
With the Pickit3 If I don't go through exactly the right sequence when making a connection it gives me all kinds of no connection messages, I also get them occasionally after connection, not so with the ver2.
Max.
Hi Max,
I did had some connection problems with the PK3 all related to the PC USB port.
The port was working normal with other devices.
Different port for PK3 : All USB connection problems gone.

However a problem in IDE 5.+ versions does occur when the following steps are taken:
a: disconnect pk3
b: start IDE
c: compile a program
d: connect pk3
e: start to program ==> fail to connect with all types of errors.

resolution:
1: close IDE
2: connect pk3
3:start IDE
4:compile
5:start to program -===>working

No problems using IPE when a pk3 is connected after IPE is started.

Important I do use linux Mint 9.x IDE/IPE 5.+

Picbuster

Beau Schwabe

Joined Nov 7, 2019
Ohh MaxHeadRoom, .... but MPLAB X.IDE is soo much better !!

It took me awhile to migrate, but once I figured out how to turn the splash screen off and a few other tweaks I wouldn't ever go back.

I also program in pure assembly fro more than 35 years now.

Beau Schwabe

Joined Nov 7, 2019
"How so?" .... It supports some micros that MPLAB does not. The company that I used to work for required us to migrate for similar reasons and I just never looked back.

There are many other features I have yet to discover, but one in particular is the way it handles projects. It took a bit to get used to, but I really like it now. Also there is a feature, perhaps it was on MPLAB also, but I just recently discovered the HISTORY tab ... see image ....

Attachments

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I have not tried that particular chip mod but i have tried it with the chip i think was the 16F190.
The chip is not supported by PK2 but if i use one of the other include files (id' have to look up which one it was) i can program this chip that is supposedly not supported. The 190 has more memory and more port pins than the ones officially supported by the PK2 and i needed that for one project some time ago and did not feel like buying a programmer just for that one chip so i looked into fooling the software into accepting the chip using a different chip definition file.
I could look up more details if you are interested, but rem this was for the 16F190 not the chip you are currently looking into.

pekka123

Joined May 18, 2017
Hello there! Finally I found gays which work wirh PIC-micros and Pickit2. I have some problem with my clone Pickit2. I have also original PICKIT2 and PICKIT3 (because some PICs do not program any more wirh PICKIT2). I have made my PC Start device (http://remotesmart.wikidot.com/pc-start) some times, but about two days then PK2 says after programming "Verifying Fail". And it really program badly to my board. I tried to start my PC (Win10) again, no help. Then I tried with old XP, no help. Then I tried to change my PIC ( PIC16F88) at my board, no help. Then I tryed with original PICKIT2. Yes it worked ok. I programmed without power. Then I open PICKIT2 (fail one) and using Tools/Troubleshoot I tested the PK2. Everything was right. Then I looked the Tool/Calibration and it seems to be right (4.00V). I downloaded a new operating system, no help. There are two 8 bit memory chips ( i2c 24LC512). Can they be somehow wrong? There are some electrolytic capacitors also, is any body found them faulty? The device is only two/three years old. Also I looked the 5 pins to CPU, but they seemed right. The programmer chip PIC18F2550 can be also bad, but it accept a new sowfware. Can sombory suggest other methods?
Pekka Ritamaki

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you have a PicKit3 does it work with that?
For the price of them now, it may not be worth fixing the PicKit2!

BTW we're not all gay, - NOT that there is anything wrong with that! :D
Max.

Last edited:

pekka123

Joined May 18, 2017
MaxHeadRoom
Yes I have PICKIT3 and also the original PICKIT2 ( the faulty was a clone)
Look what I got
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/pickit2-problem-verification-fail.167150/
==
I have repaired electronics devices from 1963.
It not a qestion of the money, but get things to repaired.
I still have one repair left. A Tektronix TDS420 oscillocpe.
It starts to work right, it does everything in calibration, but when it should start, it stops.
It doesn't responce to clear the error button, as it has done 30 years.
I have replaced every SMD-capacitor (about 50 pieces)and I have replaced the batterys.
There is no schematic available.
Regards
Pekka Ritamaki

pekka123

Joined May 18, 2017
MaxHeadRoom,
I was looking your OpAmp and Gain Control article and I try to calculate a standard circuit. All the four resistors were 100k, opamp power was 5V and ground 0V. The input at positive side was 1V and negative side 0V. I got result 0V, but it should be 1.0V. What I have made wrong?
Sorry I replay in this old message, because I didn't find the right way.
Pekka Ritamaki, Finlnad

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
By the way, I can't speak for the item in post #1, but my version of the device file for the PK2 shows that it supports the 18F25K22. There is also a British guy who has modifed the PK2 standalone app (PICKitPlus) to support new PIC's. And I personally know someone who has modified the PK2 firmware to support the new PIC's. So it can be done.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Get a PicKit 4 and MPLAB X. They have finally gotten it right.

With the PK 2 and 3 I was always having timo unplug and replug everything every few times I programmed. And the I could not find a sequence that *always* reset things properly.

With the PK 4, everything just works. I am working on a compiler for Pic24/33 right now, and I frequently run a a test suite that downloads 55 test programs to run on the Pic. It never fails (that is, rhe PK never fails, my compiler does.)

Bob

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
The problem with MPLAB X, though, is that you have to have a newer (fast) computer. I've had problems with PK3, but never with PK2...which I still use constantly. And MPLAB X is very slow on my older WinXP machine. I can't speak for Max, but I hate being forced to upgrade because of the bloat. I already have a helluva time browsing anymore because websites have so much crap and browsers are doing background snooping/datamining that slows everything down. YouTube used to be very fast for me and now I hate it, because it's so slow and janky.