Re-Programming EEprom Chip

RichTea1973

Joined Sep 1, 2021
Hi All,

I am looking to access the EEPROM Data for a battery board, the EEPROM that appears to control the data for the battery board is a PCA9500.

I am new to this, but have no kit to complete with, but am happy to purchase from.

I am looking to amend the date of Manufacture of the board which I believe is held on this EEPROM this is to reflect the new batteries that have been installed on it.

I would like a process to do this without haveing to desolder the chip, any assistance would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Rich

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

You need to provide more information.
What is this board and its function?
Also a photo of the board would help

RichTea1973

Joined Sep 1, 2021
The board is a Lithium based battery board with the main connector J1 connector, to another board that the battery supplies a backup power source to.

Thanks for taking an interest20210901_152603.jpg

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi All,

I am looking to access the EEPROM Data for a battery board, the EEPROM that appears to control the data for the battery board is a PCA9500.

I am new to this, but have no kit to complete with, but am happy to purchase from.

I am looking to amend the date of Manufacture of the board which I believe is held on this EEPROM this is to reflect the new batteries that have been installed on it.

I would like a process to do this without haveing to desolder the chip, any assistance would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Rich
There are at least two possible situations that I can see:
  1. The manufacturer provided for this possibility and included a connector for this purpose.
  2. The manufacturer wanted to specifically prevent this.
Alternative 1, is unlikely, and would require that you be able to acquire appropriate programming hardware and programming algorithm information. Even if you have to desolder the part and reinstall it you still have the same problem. If you are going to attempt any of this I recommend you obtain some blank parts to experiment with. Another problem you may encounter is a unknown checksum algorithm which computes a checkword based on the data. Change the data and you will need to update the checkword. Fail to update the checkword and the firmware will decide that the EEPROM is corrupt and "brick" the device.

You may have many other obstacles on your path. Do not choose poorly.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Uhm,
I take it you don't own the copy write to the code ?

As such , I would suggest that hacking the code , is a breach of the copy write rules and or the DMCA,

Not certain we can legaly help you if thats the case.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Uhm,
I take it you don't own the copy write to the code ?

As such , I would suggest that hacking the code , is a breach of the copy write rules and or the DMCA,

Not certain we can legaly help you if thats the case.
We are not certain that we are talking about code here. An EEPROM would normally contain data. I'm reasonably sure that "data" cannot be copyrighted since every EEPROM could potentially be different.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
We are not certain that we are talking about code here. An EEPROM would normally contain data. I'm reasonably sure that "data" cannot be copyrighted since every EEPROM could potentially different.
I really dont know , I am just raising the concern
Technically, every EEPROM is just a voltage level, we assign 1 and 0 to,
which is not as far as I understand covered under DMCA

But

If I write a proggram, and put it into a PROM
then that code I understand is covered by DMCA

RichTea1973

Joined Sep 1, 2021
I really dont know , I am just raising the concern
Technically, every EEPROM is just a voltage level, we assign 1 and 0 to,
which is not as far as I understand covered under DMCA

But

If I write a proggram, and put it into a PROM
then that code I understand is covered by DMCA
Well thats seems to be hiding behind red tape, if you don't know how to do it, that is fine, but please just say so. This is an exercise in understanding wether and how this can be done. I am looking to learn more on these things, not to re-write somebody else's work. I wouldn't be capable or competent to do so. Please help others learn, if you are able to assist please do. Am out till tomorrow now. Thanks to all that have replied:)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Well thats seems to be hiding behind red tape, if you don't know how to do it, that is fine, but please just say so. This is an exercise in understanding wether and how this can be done. I am looking to learn more on these things, not to re-write somebody else's work. I wouldn't be capable or competent to do so. Please help others learn, if you are able to assist please do. Am out till tomorrow now. Thanks to all that have replied:)
I think this comment is disingenuous. We have a vested interest in spelling out all of the relevant considerations in doing what you are proposing. Whether these considerations are meaningful, or not, is for you to decide. It is always relevant to issue a warning if an activity is of questionable legality or safety. Armed with this knowledge you can decide for yourself what your risk tolerance is and we do not need to know what you decide. If this site was subjected to a subpoena do you think they would protect you or give you up in a heartbeat? An aggressive attorney might be able to intimidate you out of a chunk of change just by putting on his "mean face". Think about it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The eeprom is PCA9500
To write data, you need to be able to control, at a minimum, power, SDA, SCL, and WC#. If the board is designed to allow programming in-circuit, those signals and power will have the ability to be isolated from the rest of the board.

If they aren't isolated, you have no hope of programming in-circuit because applying power to the device with the EEPROM will power up the rest of the board and you'll be fighting for control of the relevant pins.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
To write data, you need to be able to control, at a minimum, power, SDA, SCL, and WC#. If the board is designed to allow programming in-circuit, those signals and power will have the ability to be isolated from the rest of the board.

If they aren't isolated, you have no hope of programming in-circuit because applying power to the device with the EEPROM will power up the rest of the board and you'll be fighting for control of the relevant pins.
Since we seem to be discussing an I2C interface as long as you can get the on board master to STFU any other device can claim the bus and control all devices there.

So there is hope after all.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Assuming you COULD write to this EEPROM... what would you write and where would you place it in memory?
What about all the other data that might be important?
You cannot re-write without first erasing a block, which might be where OTHER important stuff gets saved.

Unless you know EVERYTHING about the correct data format and memory mapping, you have about ZERO chance of success doing this.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Its an I2C prom
you know the part number,
Its public knowledge i the data sheet as to what you need to do to program the part,

just use an I2C programmer,
A simple Arduino will do it

I do not HIDE behind red tape, thank you and I take that as an insult

I am just pointing out the potential laws you might be breaking by trying to do this hack some one else's copyrighted work.

I am not the police or the authority,
but I do believe in informed decions.

I also know if this was my design you were trying to hack, My company would be less than happy.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Assuming you COULD write to this EEPROM... what would you write and where would you place it in memory?
What about all the other data that might be important?
You cannot re-write without first erasing a block, which might be where OTHER important stuff gets saved.

Unless you know EVERYTHING about the correct data format and memory mapping, you have about ZERO chance of success doing this.
@Sensacell
very good point,

I would also be very surprised if there was not at least a check sum system in place to detect a corrupted / changed prom.