RC_car motors and Arduino

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It's good to use the "code" tags when posting code. But if the arduino runs just fine when the circuit isn't connected, then the problem isn't in the code. How well does it work with only the "Right" relay + transistor&resistor connected, or only the "Left" relay + transistor&resistor? That's what I'm suggesting; you start with the circuit completely disconnected, and then add back portions of the circuit until you start getting reset error again. then you know what the problem is.

seky

Joined Sep 19, 2013
I dont have time to do it today. But I dont need some capacitors?, or maybe I need beter diodes maybe faster, maybe those, what I have is slow. But today I checked, that I can use PWM, are there any response?

seky

Joined Sep 19, 2013
Edmundopt and Strantor

I tested it and I get a interesting results:

1. when I dont have connected motors all is ok, all is working and Arduino doesnt reset
2. when I connected two motors (LEFT,RIGHT) and (FORWARD,BACKWARD) still reseting
3. when I connected only 1 motor (FORWARD,BACKWARD) all was OK, I can it handle,control as long as I wish
4. when I connected another 1 motor (LEFT,RIGHT) it was still reseting

But I noticed, when I dissect motors (LEFT,RIGHT) has between contacts + and - 1 capacitor and (FORWARD,BACKWARD) has 3 capacitors, one between contacts + and -, second between one contact and cover engine and last between second contact and cover engine.

Maybe there are mismatch between capacitors, or something else. Have I maybe remove or add capacitors?...Or the last solution exchange (LEFT,RIGHT) motor
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/member.php?u=125224

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Edmundopt and Strantor

I tested it and I get a interesting results:

1. when I dont have connected motors all is ok, all is working and Arduino doesnt reset
2. when I connected two motors (LEFT,RIGHT) and (FORWARD,BACKWARD) still reseting
3. when I connected only 1 motor (FORWARD,BACKWARD) all was OK, I can it handle,control as long as I wish
4. when I connected another 1 motor (LEFT,RIGHT) it was still reseting

But I noticed, when I dissect motors (LEFT,RIGHT) has between contacts + and - 1 capacitor and (FORWARD,BACKWARD) has 3 capacitors, one between contacts + and -, second between one contact and cover engine and last between second contact and cover engine.

Maybe there are mismatch between capacitors, or something else. Have I maybe remove or add capacitors?...Or the last solution exchange (LEFT,RIGHT) motor
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/member.php?u=125224
That's odd. I don't know why there would be capacitors inside the motor. But this is a hobby servo, right? Not an ordinary motor? I'm not familiar with hobby servos but I believe they are to be controlled by PWM signal, not by contact closure. I really don't know what I'm talking about here :(. Maybe if you post a pic of what you found inside, and a part number of the motor, I can look it up. But for now I'm not having any bright ideas.

edmundopt

Joined May 4, 2011
it would really help if you update the schematic with your capacitors and new resistors.

Do not add too many capacitors, because they act as a load, your arduino board has a load limit, check the board limit and stay below it.

You are using relays, meaning that whatever is connected to them is not connected to the circuit, so it is not the problem

here is what you should have, I have drawn this in 1minute...

Attachments

Last edited:

seky

Joined Sep 19, 2013
I will post it tomorrow, but I think my schematic is not wrong (maybe yes), but when I connected to my curcuit same type of motor still doesnt work, but when I connected another type that works, but this motor has difference shape...

edmundopt

Joined May 4, 2011
keep the wires of the motors away from this circuit, EMI from them is usual, specialy if you are not protecting them with the diodes I mentioned in one of the first posts.

seky

Joined Sep 19, 2013
Dude you are right I have EMI because it interferences my TV too,but for what reason, when I only have connected one motor (FORWARD,BACKWARD) all is OK, no EMI or what, but when I connected this motor (LEFT,RIGHT) EMI appears, how can I eliminate this EMI?...I have only relays protected...

edmundopt

Joined May 4, 2011
For NOW, if you want to continue with what you have so far, I recomend a diode protection, and that's were your problem must be :
check http://www.robotroom.com/HBridge.html the D1, D2, D3 and D4 diodes will protect your relays, something like Sb120 will do

so you did NOT place the diodes on the DC motor ?
look at the attached file

Attachments

Last edited:

edmundopt

Joined May 4, 2011
you have to take some pictures of your setup, those diodes are ok, bad for battery life, but fine for now.
can you get specifications for the dc motor ?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I assume these are brushed DC motors. If so, add 2 caps to your L/R motor, so that it has 3 in total wired the same way, and with the same values, as the 3 caps on your F/B motor. These are EMI suppression caps.

seky

Joined Sep 19, 2013
Hm, after a few days I am again here, when I tried to place capacitors to problematic motor, in part this has helped (that means, no after 1x move motor resets, but maybe after 20x moves it again resets), but there is progress, capacitors help but I tried with value from 10n-1microF, no electrolytic, anoyone help?..Can I use a high value or what?

seky

Joined Sep 19, 2013
So, I searched a similar schematic a days before, but I didnt read this. So I can build a something like this curcuit?..I know, how it work, but just I need to buy only component, what I see in schematic?..I mean 4xMOSFET 4x DIODES 4X Capacitors 4x Resistors and that is all?...Hm but what type of this component should I buy?..or can I buy this in one chip?...

edmundopt

Joined May 4, 2011
if you look at my replyes , I have sent you two options, one you have to buy the discret components, the other you only buy 1 IC and 4 didodes.

I think that the DC motor is the right choice for powering the weels.

also google is your friend :)

seky

Joined Sep 19, 2013
Discret components? Components for H-Bridge with MOSFET and IC with 4 diodes for what? And what about my schematic with relays? I wrote that I attached capacitors it help but after 20 times resets instead of 1x what is wrong? I dont want use maybe another motor or schematic I will build it on my own I have my schematic but I think it needs some upgrades lbut I dont know what? High value of capacitors?...Thx