RC switching using MOSFETS question

Kkein

Joined Jun 10, 2011
Hi Guys,
Need your help. I'm trying to switch on and off two MOSFETS to charge and discharge a capacitor. The problem is the capacitor does not charge to full voltage of 30V for some reasons. Instead it charges to 2.93V and discharges when the other transistor is on. Circuit is shown. But when I use only one mosfet, the capacitor charges to 29.7V which is close to 30V. What is the problem here. Can anyone help please. Appreciate.

Attachments

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
PE0 voltage is equal to ??
And replace Q3 into P-channel MOSFET (source at RCS ; drain to CL)
Also move RC resistor from Q4 source to Q4 drain. And connect Q4 source directly to ground.

Kkein

Joined Jun 10, 2011
Oh I see. Thanks, Jony130. So the solution is to use a P-channel mosfet for Q3 and N-channel mosfet for Q4?

Kkein

Joined Jun 10, 2011
Jony130, Thanks. I finally got it working with your suggestion. However, something doesn't seem right with the current (see attached). As the voltage across the fully charge capacitor is 30V and the discharging resistor being 20ohms and Mosfet Rds_on of 0.03 ohms, I would expect that the current flowing through the RC circuit to be 1.5A, thus a voltage of 1.5V across a 1ohm resistor connected in series i.e. I=V/(RL+Rds_on+Rs). But that's not what I'm getting. Instead I'm getting for 0.11A. Why is that? Anyone experience this before?
Appreciate your help.

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The Rdson of 0.03 Ohms is for a Vgs of 10V. You have only 5V Vgs, so the FET won't be switched fully on and will have a higher Rdson.
You need either 'logic-level' FETs or a level-shifting driver stage for the gates.

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Jony130, Thanks. I finally got it working with your suggestion. However, something doesn't seem right with the current (see attached). As the voltage across the fully charge capacitor is 30V and the discharging resistor being 20ohms and Mosfet Rds_on of 0.03 ohms, I would expect that the current flowing through the RC circuit to be 1.5A, thus a voltage of 1.5V across a 1ohm resistor connected in series i.e. I=V/(RL+Rds_on+Rs). But that's not what I'm getting. Instead I'm getting for 0.11A. Why is that? Anyone experience this before?
Appreciate your help.
As I told you already you need moved RL and Rs resistor to Q4 drain.
And connect Q4 source directly to ground

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
The Rdson of 0.03 Ohms is for a Vgs of 10V. You have only 5V Vgs, so the FET won't be switched fully on and will have a higher Rdson.
You need either 'logic-level' FETs or a level-shifting driver stage for the gates.
Notice that RL RS is connected between Q4 source and ground.

Kkein

Joined Jun 10, 2011
Gentlemen,
Thanks for your help. However, I couldn't get it working due to "time step too small" error when I moved RL & Rs to Q4 drain. I tried building a non inverting driver circuit and use a switch to switch ON & OFF, but the annoying error won't go away. However, when I leave both resistors on the source side of Q4, the error goes. What's the problem? Help please!!! Appreciate it.

Attachments

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Simply change Q1 to BUZ10 and error will magically disappears.
Also notice that MOSFET Vgs_max = 24V but in your circuit from post 7 Vgs is 30V because you skipped one resistor connected between Q2 gate and Q3 collector.

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Glad to hear, but don't forget about this additional resistor. Because otherwise P-MOSFET will die ( Vgs must be less than 24V).

Kkein

Joined Jun 10, 2011
Hi Jony130,

Yes I have included the resistor as suggested - here is the circuit attached.

Also, is there a solar pv cell model that I can use instead of the battery to do the simulation in Proteus ISIS. I was trying to make one with diode and control current source but it won't work. The idea is to charge the capacitor using a solar pv model and then discharge the capacitor.

Thanks.

Attachments

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Yes I have included the resistor as suggested - here is the circuit attached.
Looks good.

Also, is there a solar pv cell model that I can use instead of the battery to do the simulation in Proteus ISIS.
Try this circuit (Q5, R9 , R13, D3)

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/simulation-of-maximum-power-point-circuit.140616/
I was trying to make one with diode and control current source but it won't work.
This circuit wont work because you don't use F1 properly and D1 model is not right.

Kkein

Joined Jun 10, 2011
Jony130, Thanks once again. I tried that circuit but for some reasons, I could not get hire voltages.

I have tried another solar pv circuit as attached. It works but the current and voltages are negative! How I can reverse things to positive?

Attachments

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
You need to change the the direction of 1A current source.
And also try to use this diode model
.model PV_Panel D(Is=10n Rs=.5 N=77.06 Cjo=10n M=.5 Eg=85 Xti=230 BV=30 IBV=.001 Vj=.4 Iave=1 Vpk=30 mfg=Generic type=PV)