RC Slow Rise Circuit

deprove55

Joined Sep 17, 2021
You have no discharge path for 100uF cap. Once it is charged it will remain a loooong time charged since op amp input is high impedance. Is that ok?
Yes, in doing so I have somewhat of a sample and hold circuit so that if I need to pump the brakes at some point during the rise time I can without having to restart from 0. Funny enough, this part also is not working in the real circuit, it discharges just as fast as it charges.

deprove55

Joined Sep 17, 2021
hi 55,
This is your original asc sim, plus a sim with the OPA.

E

Added: This could explain why your original sim looked OK, but real circuit not.
That could be it, any theory on why it has such a big impact? My understanding was that the high impedance input of the circuit would prevent any impact on the RC circuit output. If that's not the case, I'll need to find a better way to tune the output and isolate it from the next part of the circuit.

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
Yes, in doing so I have somewhat of a sample and hold circuit so that if I need to pump the brakes at some point during the rise time I can without having to restart from 0. Funny enough, this part also is not working in the real circuit, it discharges just as fast as it charges.
I think there are some parts and circuits involved which are not mentioned or visible here, or some part(s) in your circuit is broken/leaking/misfunctioning. From our perspective it is impossible to tell..

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you were to isolate and consider R1, C1 and U1 alone, I don't see how you can get ms charge time and not RC = 10s, unless R1 and/or C1 values are not correct or C1 is not properly connected in the circuit.

RC charging circuit.jpg

deprove55

Joined Sep 17, 2021
I think you’re making it complicated. Won’t this do it?View attachment 248214
100Ω is to limit the current into the comparator when it switches on.
It works for when the comparator is off as I'll have even closer to 0 volts on the output than I do now. However, when the comparator turns on I will have the rail voltage applied to the output rather than my setpoint voltage which is meant to be variable. The nmos switching adds that needed isolation between the control and the output.

deprove55

Joined Sep 17, 2021
how did you measure the time it takes to get fully charged?, Oscilloscope picture where you have gate voltage and RC node?
What discharges the 100uF cap ?
should be something like... View attachment 248215
Yes, I used an oscilloscope on the output. I didn't really "measure" the charging time as much as I just observed and saw that it was faster than a second and obviously not instantaneous.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
You have no discharge path for 100uF cap. Once it is charged it will remain a loooong time charged since op amp input is high impedance. Is that ok?
Through the 1k resistor, the 100k resistor and the diode - so it's about the same as the charging time constant.

deprove55

Joined Sep 17, 2021
I am using a TLV272IDR
Problem solved, I ended up replacing the opamp with a new one of the same kind and it ended up working. I didn't suspect any issues with that before because it was still accurately amplifying my output. Not sure what kind of issue could cause that but I was able to find it thanks to our discussion pointing to it. Thank you so much for the help!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sure, I acknowledge the evidence but the math does not compute.
Replace the opamp with a resistor across C1. Yes, the time constant is reduced but also C1 does not charge.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Which means that the capacitor would already be fully charged independent of the state of the MOSFET.
I think crutschow is right. Only I think the opamp input became low impedence to ground.....say 1k.
The cap would charged normally but would discharge very quickly...which is what the TS was describing...