RAM Slots having different Colours

Electronic_Maniac

Joined Oct 26, 2017
Hi all,

I Have a basic doubt.

Why do we have 2 different colored (Black and Blue in this example) RAM slots in a Board?

I have seen many boards, where there are 2 different colored RAM slots? What purpose do they serve?
Please explain.

upload_2018-1-10_10-11-58.png

Lyonspride

Joined Jan 6, 2014
IIRC, many years ago this was done purely to balance the load across memory controllers, you were supposed to fill the matching coloured slots first, but who know's what it's for these days..............

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi all,

I Have a basic doubt.

Why do we have 2 different colored (Black and Blue in this example) RAM slots in a Board?

I have seen many boards, where there are 2 different colored RAM slots? What purpose do they serve?
Please explain.

View attachment 143406
Hi,

With all the MoBo's i have had in the past it has to do with interlaced memory. If you use the same color you get interlaced memory which makes the memory access 2x faster than if you dont. For interlaced memory you need at least 2 mem packs.

Ultimately check the MoBo manual they usually tell you.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Normally memory slots are marked on the motherboard, Slot 0, Slot 1, Slot 2, etc. In the manual they would tell you in what order to install the modules. It has been this way since 286 and 386 cpus. This means that colored slots are just pure marketing.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Normally memory slots are marked on the motherboard, Slot 0, Slot 1, Slot 2, etc. In the manual they would tell you in what order to install the modules. It has been this way since 286 and 386 cpus. This means that colored slots are just pure marketing.
Hi,

That's not what i have seen in the past with all the MoBo's i have had.
For example, if i had two yellow and two blue then to use two mem packs most effectively i would have to use either the two yellows or the two blues but not one of each. That's because the two yellows (for example) would allow the memory to be accessed faster though interlaced access. That's the way every MoBo was that i ever had that i can remember, and that's at least 6 or more motherboards of various manufacturers like Asus, Gigabyte, BioStar, MSI.
The MoBo manual usually specifies how to get this right, and it's usually color coded, so the coloring is not hype it's useful. If you dont follow the manu however then you could see a hit in performance because the memory manager wont be able to access the memory as fast as possible.

Here is a pic. You can see the ram has been installed in two light blue slots. Asus MoBo. That also means that ram is installed in every other slot so there is better cooling. The two black slots are not being used.

Attachments

Last edited:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Hi,

That's not what i have seen in the past with all the MoBo's i have had.
For example, if i had two yellow and two blue then to use two mem packs most effectively i would have to use either the two yellows or the two blues but not one of each. That's because the two yellows (for example) would allow the memory to be accessed faster though interlaced access. That's the way every MoBo was that i ever had that i can remember, and that's at least 6 or more motherboards of various manufacturers like Asus, Gigabyte, BioStar, MSI.
The MoBo manual usually specifies how to get this right, and it's usually color coded, so the coloring is not hype it's useful. If you dont follow the manu however then you could see a hit in performance because the memory manager wont be able to access the memory as fast as possible.

Here is a pic. You can see the ram has been installed in two light blue slots. Asus MoBo. That also means that ram is installed in every other slot so there is better cooling. The two black slots are not being used.
lol
thanks for purposefully misinterpreting my statement.

I am reading manual for intel d975xbx2 mobo, from 2007-2008 time period, it has colored ram slots (blue and black in case you give a damn about these things). It has Channel A and Channel B. Each channel has DIMM 0 and DIMM 1. Manual says something to effect: place MATCHING ram modules in Channel A DIMM 0 and Channel B DIMM 0. There is also entry for when using nonmatching ram modules. So. The manual tells me what to install where. Do I need colors to follow instructions in the manual? No. Do I need the actual slots color coded? No.

I have to admit. Bright colors on the slots and the led lights do make the inside of the case look pretty. Like I said, pure marketing so that people with certain tastes can spend their money. I have no problem with people spending their money on these thing.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
lol
thanks for purposefully misinterpreting my statement.

I am reading manual for intel d975xbx2 mobo, from 2007-2008 time period, it has colored ram slots (blue and black in case you give a damn about these things). It has Channel A and Channel B. Each channel has DIMM 0 and DIMM 1. Manual says something to effect: place MATCHING ram modules in Channel A DIMM 0 and Channel B DIMM 0. There is also entry for when using nonmatching ram modules. So. The manual tells me what to install where. Do I need colors to follow instructions in the manual? No. Do I need the actual slots color coded? No.

I have to admit. Bright colors on the slots and the led lights do make the inside of the case look pretty. Like I said, pure marketing so that people with certain tastes can spend their money. I have no problem with people spending their money on these thing.
Hi,

What is "purposefully misinterpreting"?

You said colors have no purpose pure marketing, i said they do.have purpose not just marketing.
You dont seem to admire redundancy. Redundancy is a very good thing in technical and medical fields because it helps to reduce HUMAN mistakes. You are human, arent you? :)