Radio Shack Bites The Dust

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Went to my local Shack yesterday. Along with a bevy of half-price parts, I picked up a Wemo switch at 1/2 price. I've been on the fence about this because they are kind of expensive, but at 1/2 price, they seem more attractive. And I wasn't sure about using it with my Linux machine, which I use as the control center on all my remote control projects. So I gets it home, and after fiddling around setting up it, I download a Linux script, and have immediate control over the appliance. It's a pretty good way to get world wide control over some home appliances. I plan on turning on and off some lights and other appliances when I'm working out of town. My only issue is, if I'm not home and the device needs power cycling, I'm kind of screwed. For example, from my reading, I understand that the Wemo powers off if the link drops.

Despite that, I'm planning on going back and picking up at least one more unit. I left about 4 on the shelf, hope one is still there when I return.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Stopped at my local closing store. Was really pleased see a big sign that said "Last 2 Days"! Good I didn't miss it, I thought. Well the sign lied. It was already closed.

It was a really small store anyway. I would suspect they did not have much in parts anyway.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Went and got another 1/2 price Wemo. Now I can control lights on both ends of my house when I'm not at home.
Okay, but I'm curious; why would you want to? Is there some utility to having lights on in your absence such as simulating your presence?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The RadioShack name will be auctioned separately from the Assets. It seems someone thinks there is a value to the brand name. Would you buy a Radio Shack branded television at Walmart? It worked for Westinghouse. CBS television owns that brand name and someone asked to use it again for Chinese-made generic televisions and both CBS and the licensee/importer are happy.

Starting bids for the name, $20M as of now.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...iggest-shareholder-to-bid-for-retailer-s-name

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I just found out the RadioShack had Franchisees. Those stores are not impacted by the bankruptcy... For now. They may have to change their name if the RadioShack name is sold. Also, they are waiting to find out if the RadioShack branded merchandise will still be available and whether the franchisees find any market value in any new name and support (vs operating as fully independent).

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
The Shack is coming back (at least in some places). I found that out today when I heard one of the employees at a local RadioShack saying that the store originally closest to me that had been closed will soon reopen as a Sprint-RadioShack.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The Shack is coming back (at least in some places). I found that out today when I heard one of the employees at a local RadioShack saying that the store originally closest to me that had been closed will soon reopen as a Sprint-RadioShack.
That means that they will be a distribution point for cellphones. It is unlikely that Sprint is interested in selling common techie parts like semiconductors and kits. Only my estimation based on the little info I have come across.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
That means that they will be a distribution point for cellphones. It is unlikely that Sprint is interested in selling common techie parts like semiconductors and kits. Only my estimation based on the little info I have come across.
I'm afraid that you're probably right. According to this article:
The stores-within-the-stores will take up about 1/3 of each location’s footprint, where Sprint’s retail employees will sell phones and service. Sprint is paying for overhead costs, distribute commission on its merchandise and pitch in with advertising. At most of those co-branded stores, Sprint’s logo will be more prominent than RadioShack’s.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Went by the one near me last week, everything was gone, even the lettering above the door.
The only thing left on the wall was the thermostat..

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
The only thing left on the wall was the thermostat..
Did it say 'Archer' on it?:cool:
I didn't think I'd miss RS but I do.
It was a bit distressing to read in WSJ that one of the big bidders for RS was a data acquisition / selling outfit - RS did collect all of our names/addresses over all those years. Sad to think that that's what the vultures consider the value there. but HEY! it's bidness!

Looks like some franchisees are trying to hang in there. Hope they can. The pix show gloves and outlet strips... good luck with all of that.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I was at the mall today and ours was closed down and looked about half cleaned out as well.

Can't say I will miss it that much.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I haven't seen it, but my mall-walker Dad tells me the old Radio Shack is an empty storefront. My last purchase was an Arduino Uno for $6