Radio controlled lighting by using VHF PTT

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Here's a product on the market - note the FAA L-854 compliance , I like the beefy relays,

1581955936444.png

This one is rated for 10 A:1581956134606.png

this one looks like it's running an Arduino or PIC, with opto isolated solidstate switches.
1581956247054.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I see no legality issue in this application, pilots will be using licensed radios, there must be channels that are assigned to this specific use. The challenge is designing and building a reliable system that is sufficiently hardened.
I do not recall any mention of a user being a pilot. Maybe I missed that part, or perhaps you had a private communication with the TS. Or maybe that is just a guess.

Edvin Ferkic

Joined May 28, 2019
I see no legality issue in this application, pilots will be using licensed radios, there must be channels that are assigned to this specific use. The challenge is designing and building a reliable system that is sufficiently hardened.
True story. Well I just want to build a prototype of my own which can potentially be redesigned professionally later and be used as a such hardened system. I want to build my own to check and verify that it can be built using arduino, perhaps DTMF, vhf receiver and transmitter etc... Basicly I want ideas and maybe some help in coding from you guys.

Edvin Ferkic

Joined May 28, 2019
Here's a product on the market - note the FAA L-854 compliance , I like the beefy relays,

View attachment 199295

This one is rated for 10 A:View attachment 199296

this one looks like it's running an Arduino or PIC, with opto isolated solidstate switches.
View attachment 199297
Ahh, yes I have seen this systems before. I want to build something easy and similar like this. These systems have been developed over many years and backed up by companies with big pockets. This is something that I dont have. my goal is written on your previous post.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
These systems have been developed over many years and backed up by companies with big pockets.
I'd suggest you do a Patent search to see if they have any current patents which you might infringe with your project, since they could afford to come after you if they think you're trespassing on 'their' territory.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Patents don't really apply until you start to make money off of a product. If you produce one-off for your own use it is never worth the lawyer fees to go after that individual.

Edvin Ferkic

Joined May 28, 2019
I'd suggest you do a Patent search to see if they have any current patents which you might infringe with your project, since they could afford to come after you if they think you're trespassing on 'their' territory.
Not going to copy or build excact type of system, mine will be pretty homemade and I do not know which parts or units they used and how it is constructed so I am not worried about patents. If I at a later point construct a commercial product, then it will be someting different. This is a hobby project

Side note, I've developed a program for IDEC SmartRelays for airport runway lights (looks for 5 pulses within 7 seconds, turns lights on for 15 minutes, last minute lights flash to let you know they are about to turn off). If you're interested, let me know, happy to share it for hobbyist/not-commercial usage.

I am looking for some way to get analog voltage pulses off of the squelch breaks from some sort of VHF receiver in case anyone has any ideas.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A simple and non-invasive means of detecting fairly rapid carrier pulses would be to use the external speaker jack on the receiver along with a high-pass filter. This should detect the noise pulses after the carrier drops, since that noise has a greater high frequency content. At least that works for FM communications equipment. So an FM receiver tuned to the frequency would probably work best. I guess that aircraft VHF communications are mostly AM, but that may be based on old information.

A simple and non-invasive means of detecting fairly rapid carrier pulses would be to use the external speaker jack on the receiver along with a high-pass filter. This should detect the noise pulses after the carrier drops, since that noise has a greater high frequency content. At least that works for FM communications equipment. So an FM receiver tuned to the frequency would probably work best. I guess that aircraft VHF communications are mostly AM, but that may be based on old information.
Airband VHF operates on AM, but that's a really interesting concept - never would have thought of that. I'll have to do some testing. What I'm running into in looking at the output is even when there is no transmission (and the signal is squelched), I'm still getting similar voltage/amperage out of the audio jack so having a hard time discerning when a transmission is made.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Put a ctcss board in the receiver and when you transmit it receives the signal and operates the relay to put the lights on, is that not what you want??

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Airband VHF operates on AM, but that's a really interesting concept - never would have thought of that. I'll have to do some testing. What I'm running into in looking at the output is even when there is no transmission (and the signal is squelched), I'm still getting similar voltage/amperage out of the audio jack so having a hard time discerning when a transmission is made.
To get anything useful from the speaker connection you will need to look at the difference in the higher frequency noise portion of the signal. When a carrier is present the background noise level drops, of course that is most obvious on an FM communications receiver. If the receiver has a properly adjusted squelch function, there will be no noise present with no carrier present because the output is squelched. Then when a carrier is detected the squelch will open but it will be fairly quiet. Then, when the carrier drops but the squelch is still open there will be a burst of higher frequency noise, in the 3000to 5000 Hz range, and that noise will be silenced when the squelch closes. That burst is referred to as a "squelch tail", and is quite common. THAT is what I was saying could be detected fairly simply.

Side note, I've developed a program for IDEC SmartRelays for airport runway lights (looks for 5 pulses within 7 seconds, turns lights on for 15 minutes, last minute lights flash to let you know they are about to turn off). If you're interested, let me know, happy to share it for hobbyist/not-commercial usage.

I am looking for some way to get analog voltage pulses off of the squelch breaks from some sort of VHF receiver in case anyone has any ideas.
I am trying to accomplish what it sounds like you already have done. I put in an emergency heliport recently in my quite rural area. This is a self funded project that I would like to do pilot activation but I have not come up with any affordable answers. I am only half smart when it comes to fabricating but would love to know how you accomplished it and approximate costs Thanks in advance