Radio controlled firework ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mba03jw

Joined Dec 1, 2007
I know practically NOTHING about electronics but I'm hoping you can forgive my ignorance and help me fulfill my childish dream of being able to remotely launch fireworks from an rc helicopter. Pleaseee! (I'm only talking about the smallest fireworks you can get - weight is an important issue here)

I have taken the circuitry from a cheap rc car toy and I have a christmas light bulb which I have broken the glass from the end of so the filament is exposed. The rc car had two motors controlled independently by two buttons on the transmitter. The car was powered by 3 AA batteries. I'm hoping that if I remove the motors and solder the lightbulb's wires to the wires that were connected to the motors then this will allow me to switch on the lightbulb remotely. Then hopefully the filament itself will be capable of igniting a firework fuse. Is this likely to work? and, if not, how can I make it work?

eeboy

Joined Sep 27, 2007
I doubt the lamps would ignite the fuse. If it did, it would take considerable time I am sure. The best suggestion I can come up with at the moment is to use the ignitors from model rockets. This is going to require a little bit of extra circuitry but nothing too complex.

It's hard to say what exactly is going on at the business end of the RC car. Can you post a picture?

eeboy

Joined Sep 27, 2007
Do the control pots/knobs self center? Do the motors run at variable speed depending on the position of the pot or is it the really cheap where the motor is full on forwards or full on backwards?

Put a volt meter across the leads to the motor and manipulate the pot/knobs.

mba03jw

Joined Dec 1, 2007
I have attached a picture of the circuit board with some notes - sorry if the picture isn't great, its a very small thing to try to photograph. I need to get a soldering iron so I can re-attach some of the wires that have come off.

I was just thinking about the light bulbs - I found a guide on how to make ignitors from christmas lights: http://www.jamesyawn.com/ignitors/jimmyfire/index.html

I'm just not sure if the rc car system will have enough power to use ignitors made like the ones in that guide. Could I just hook up a 9v battery or would this frazzle the circuit board from the rc car?

[img=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3f7021f1dc.jpg]

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I am going to lock this thread until the moderators decide a policy about postings of this nature.

Given the use of remote-controlled explosives in Iraq, answers might provide aid to the enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.