R.I.P. Former President George H.W. Bush

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I didn't agree with him on a lot of things, but he was a good man and could admit when he made a mistake. The world was a better place with him in it.

RIP Bush 41.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for posting, i was just about to post something like that myself.

He was an honorable gentleman which is harder to find these days. I was proud to have voted for him back in the late 1980's and of course as everyone knows now, he won. RIP Mr Bush (and also Mrs Bush). Keeping one of your best quotes in my sig line as usual.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
In the day, I had my differences with some of his approaches. In retrospect, he was one of the last of the good ones. You could disagree with a particular policy of his but still know that the republic was in good hands. He actually knew things, like how the world worked, and tempered his actions for the best outcome he could. It was about country, not himself, and he took a lot of heat doing it.

Personally, I'd trade a hundred of any present day politicians, regardless of party, even the ones I voted for, for one George HW Bush. Going to go the services Thurs. here in town if I can get in.
RIP

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
George H W Bush was well liked in Mexico. I remember one day he came to Monterrey as an ex-president to participate in an event and give a speech at the public central plaza, and he was very surprised at the huge amount of people that came to see him and listen to what he had to say.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://news.usni.org/2018/12/04/na...cedented-21-aircraft-flyover-for-bush-funeral
The Navy will honor former naval aviator and 41st president George H.W. Bush on Thursday with a largest-ever 21-aircraft missing man formation as part of his funeral services in Texas.

Thirty F/A-18 Hornets and Super Hornets departed Naval Air Station Oceana, Va. today ahead of the Dec. 6 internment ceremony at the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum in College Station, Texas.

A naval aviation official told USNI News that a missing man formation of this size is unprecedented and reflects Bush’s legacy as a naval aviator and ongoing relationship with the Navy’s carrier strike group community.

“Being selected to participate in this memorial is one of the highest honors a Naval Aviator can receive,” Rear Adm. Roy Kelley, commander of Naval Air Force Atlantic, said in a statement.
“In addition to being our president, he was also one of our brothers, flying combat missions off aircraft carriers during World War II. His service to our Navy and nation merits a tribute of this magnitude.”

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Just the price of fuel mainly. Everybody is already on the payroll.

Way more than the cost of fuel. There is maintenance, wear etc. From what I have read the FA-19\8 cost about $24K an hour to operate, Lets say they are only in the air a conservative 2 hours. That is 21*2*$24K or just a tad over $1M for a 2 hour flight.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Way more than the cost of fuel. There is maintenance, wear etc. From what I have read the FA-19\8 cost about $24K an hour to operate, Lets say they are only in the air a conservative 2 hours. That is 21*2*$24K or just a tad over $1M for a 2 hour flight.
What if those flights were to be counted as routine training, or practice, for the pilots? It's something that all military organizations have a separate budget for.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It's still mainly fuel over a normal training mission that the pilots need to stay in flight status anyway. He earned it for a lifetime of service.