Quickest way to make logic gate output last for a few seconds?

Orbitingful

Joined Oct 31, 2015
That's what it is doing -- the input is being stroked every 100 ms and the output is producing a corresponding pulse every 100 ms.
I only want the output to produce one shot, when the inputs are low. Isn't there a way to do this without the monostable becoming an Astable?

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
I only want the output to produce one shot, when the inputs are low. Isn't there a way to do this without the monostable becoming an Astable?

where do you see an astable? for each input pulse, you get single output pulse. astable can produce pulses indefinitely when enabled (no input change needed).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
IT'S NOT ASTABLE!!!!!

It is producing ONE pulse each time all of the inputs become LO. If an input goes HI and then returns LO, it produces another pulse in response to THAT event.

So unless you are saying that you want it to produce a single pulse the first time all of the inputs go LO and to never, ever produce another pulse ever again no matter what the inputs do, this does what you have been asking for.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
You might want to keep that 4538 chip in the back of your mind though. It can be wire to work with a rising or falling edge trigger. Plus it can have a high or low output depending on how its wired. And only uses one cap and one resistor for the timing. Plus there are two of them on one chip, and they are available in many different logic families.