quick question about LED hole size for PCB

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
I have a 1.8mm LED. I want to pass it through a non-electrical PCB board. How big should the hole be: 1.8mm diameter or slightly bigger?
Thx

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have a 1.8mm LED. I want to pass it through a non-electrical PCB board. How big should the hole be: 1.8mm diameter or slightly bigger?
Thx
The body of the LED? Or the leads.

If it's the body of the LED, do you want it to go completely through the board? Or have a friction fit?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The common 5mm LED only has 0.4mm leads?
BTW, many LEDS have rectangular leads, so you need to size according to the diagonal, if this is the case.

Last edited:

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
Obviously not enough information forthcoming in order to give a definitive answer! :(
Im sorry I was indisposed. Thank you very much for the replies.

The LED is 1.8mm across the top. I am not concerned about lead placement
If it is the LED itself.
Why not make it 2mm?
I want it to fit snuggly and not have too much space around it. Part of it is securing it but mostly how it looks: nice and tight. Maybe 2mm is just that? What would the fit be like at 1.8 vs. 2.2. I don't want to overthink this but I want some rationale on LED placement in a hole.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I want it to fit snuggly and not have too much space around it. Part of it is securing it but mostly how it looks: nice and tight. Maybe 2mm is just that?
So you're asking how to size a hole for panel mounting? Undersize the hole and use a T-reamer or file to enlarge to a size that'll give you a good friction fit.
1674835747007.png

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
I would suggest some actual testing using a couple of different drill sizes in same or similar material , in order to come up with a definitive answer that suits your application.
I can do that but the shipping kills me, so to speak. I would have to submit an order for each diameter :1.8mm, 1.9mm, 2mm.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Awesome thank you. That gives inexpensive control over the process.
Just calculated diameter and you're going to need a file. The T-reamer only goes down to 1/8". A bead reamer might work. I have a 12" long tapered file that I use for small diameter holes.

Or get one of these reamers:
1674836668833.png

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I got some diamond burrs that go in a Dremel. Some of those start at about 1/16" and go to 1/8", and don't have too much taper - you don't really want a tapered hole.