quick question about LED hole size for PCB

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
I found the following kit in grits. I've tried converting but nothing to cross check. The grits covrerre:
Just calculated diameter and you're going to need a file. The T-reamer only goes down to 1/8". A bead reamer might work. I have a 12" long tapered file that I use for small diameter holes.

Or get one of these reamers:
View attachment 286217
0-14 mm
This appears to be the same. Alibaba was way out on delivery data. Will this work?

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
You will need 0.3 mm wider holes than the component to ensure the best fit.
1.8mm+3mm wider = 2.1mm
Alright so simple. With the Hass filer I can still work towards .3mm diameter, if necessary. But that's a great place to start though! There will be some variation among the LEDs in diameter. I'm assuming you customize via filing as you go. I don't want to overthink this the 0.3mm wider holes is good.

Last edited:

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
The first question is why to you want/need such a small diameter LED?

A pcb bezel is going to be a bit of a challenge. The domed part of the selected LED is only 0.055" (1.4mm) tall. The standard pcb material is 0.063" (1.6mm) thick, meaning the LED will be in a hole, with a very small viewing angle. Pcb material down to 0.4mm is available, which will still limit the viewing angle of the LED.

The second issue is why is a friction fit necessary or desirable? A 0.1mm gap around a 1.8mm LED would hardly be noticeable.

And finally, do you know the difference between diffused and water-clear LEDs? Since you have never explained what you are actually trying to accomplish, I can't guess at which is the correct choice. A diffused LED radiates light in a wide pattern – the light is visible looking at the LED from any direction (well, a wide range). A water-clear LED has almost a laser beam of light, focused over a few degrees. Looking directly at a water-clear LED will leave spots in your eyes. Point it towards a wall 4' away, and the spot size may only be an inch or two in diameter.

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018

A pcb bezel is going to be a bit of a challenge. The domed part of the selected LED is only 0.055" (1.4mm) tall. The standard pcb material is 0.063" (1.6mm) thick, meaning the LED will be in a hole, with a very small viewing angle. Pcb material down to 0.4mm is available, which will still limit the viewing angle of the LED.

The second issue is why is a friction fit necessary or desirable? A 0.1mm gap around a 1.8mm LED would hardly be noticeable.

And finally, do you know the difference between diffused and water-clear LEDs? Since you have never explained what you are actually trying to accomplish, I can't guess at which is the correct choice. A diffused LED radiates light in a wide pattern – the light is visible looking at the LED from any direction (well, a wide range). A water-clear LED has almost a laser beam of light, focused over a few degrees. Looking directly at a water-clear LED will leave spots in your eyes. Point it towards a wall 4' away, and the spot size may only be an inch or two in diameter.
I may have mentioned this but I am using the 1.8mm for the function of a status light. I have very limited PCB real estate and providing for 2 x 5mm or a 5mm and 3mm just wasn't doable. So really what I want to do is just have it poke from below the second board so it is really obvious if there is a problem with the IR. I've run the design through PCB already and so far its worked !! Now I want to put the little status indicator for my sanity.

As for my intentions, it is to build an array of IR markers for tracking and analysis via machine vision. Honestly this electronics has been the fun part. I apologize for maybe being cagey about it.

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018

And finally, do you know the difference between diffused and water-clear LEDs?
No, but now I do.

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018

A pcb bezel is going to be a bit of a challenge. The domed part of the selected LED is only 0.055" (1.4mm) tall. The standard pcb material is 0.063" (1.6mm)

So Ill anchor it by soldering the leads on the first board and position the board on top with the hole to fit most of it. The downside is a reduced/small viewing angle per post #36.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What about just the LED dome: pushing it up into a second board. I did a trial run and it seems to work fine if you limit it to just the dome. There is a little shelf around the dome.
You never did tell us how you planned to mount the LED. So we were all speculating and guessing.

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
You never did tell us how you planned to mount the LED. So we were all speculating and guessing.
LED Mount 5mm

I've had some positive results with the mount (attached)LED Mount for Project.png
The 10mm mount for the 5mm LED and it makes sense but I can't find a mount for the 1.8mm LED. Best I can do is thread the 1.8mm through a 10mm spacer in between the two boards and poke the dome through a hole. I am open to any better ideas.

Last edited: