question

mmy question is if resistor opposes current then why current before the resistor and after resistor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aftab0379

Joined Jan 11, 2015
mmy question is if resistor opposes current then why current before the resistor and after resistor same although it opposes current...iam very confuse someone plz answer

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Before you install the resistor it does not oppose the flow of current. After you install the resistor is does oppose the flow of current. Therefore, the current is NOT the same before and after you install a resistor.

If a garden hose opposes the flow of water, why is the flow of water the same at both ends of the hose? Because water and current do not disappear in the middle of a resistance to flow.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I don't like the terminology "a resistor opposes current." It literally is not correct. Kinda like the old, incorrect, adage "current takes path of least resistance."

If I've got a 1A current source across a 1 ohm resistor, is the resistance opposing the current? Seems if that were so, I'd see a drop in current which, of course, doesn't happen.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
In fact, it would be technically more accurate, though still incorrect, to say that "resistance opposes voltage".

A resistance applied in parallel with a voltage source develops exactly an equivalent, and opposing voltage across its terminals.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Semantics. Please don't pee in the soup. The beginner is having enough difficulty.
When I train young dogs, I try not to develop bad habits in them that I'll have to break later.

It's easier to teach slow and correctly when they're young than to have to fix problems when they are older.

toffee_pie

Joined Oct 31, 2009
Assuming voltage stays the same then an increased current will return a drop in resistance and vice verse, this pretty clearly shows that resistance is central to the flow of current itself.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Assuming voltage stays the same then an increased current will return a drop in resistance and vice verse, this pretty clearly shows that resistance is central to the flow of current itself.
How will increasing the current cause the resistance to drop? If the voltage is staying the same, how will you increase current in the first place?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A resistor opposes current in the same way that a water valve opposes water flow. It's a restriction. More power (voltage or pressure) must be supplied at the source to maintain the same flow at the output, with the excess power being dissipated at the restriction. If more power is not supplied, the flow decreases.

Just as with water, the flow on either side of the restriction is identical. No extra water mass or electrical charge is added or removed, only energy.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
A resistor opposes current in the same way that a water valve opposes water flow. It's a restriction. More power (voltage or pressure) must be supplied at the source to maintain the same flow at the output, with the excess power being dissipated at the restriction. If more power is not supplied, the flow decreases.

Just as with water, the flow on either side of the restriction is identical. No extra water mass or electrical charge is added or removed, only energy.
I like the word "restricts" better than "opposes". "Opposes" implies "equal and opposite". And "oppose" is not a synonym for "restrict".

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Agreed. It may just be semantics but I can see how "oppose" might imply the active use of outside force or energy, as opposed to a passive consumption of energy.

toffee_pie

Joined Oct 31, 2009
How will increasing the current cause the resistance to drop? If the voltage is staying the same, how will you increase current in the first place?

this is the way these things go, look at batteries, lithiums. The lower the internal resistance........what happens?

yes, the higher the current it can discharge, and the voltage will still be at the nominal level, 3.7v or whatever.

This equates to ohms law, and my original point.