Question CR2032 battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

barretff7

Joined Nov 16, 2022
I have a PCB with a soldered CR2032 battery and I store this PCB for a long time. My question is whether the CR2032 will release an acidic or corrosive compound on the PCB, corroding it

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

No, unlike alkaline batteries which can suffer leakage, lithium cells don't. The cell will self-discharge over about 10 years, though. So, even if you don't use it, it will eventually be dead.

barretff7

Joined Nov 16, 2022
i found these pictures internet and i was worried that one day they will leak and i will have to remove all the cr2032 from the pcb before this happens by chemical reaction
cr2032.jpgd-10_battery_leak.pngLeakedBattery_2585a.jpgAcorn Archimedes A3000 Battery Damage.jpg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The first image seems to be something exposed to adverse conditions. The widespread damage and rust suggests storage at very high humidity.

The second image doesn't provide enough information to understand it.

The third looks like a cell that was exposed to water which caused it to electrolyze the traces of the board and it's own terminal.

The fourth image is similar, The very widespread oxidation suggest to me the rusty cell is not a cause but an effect.

I have stored PCBs with lithium cells for decades without corrosion but if you add in high humidity or outright water, all bets are off. I think you should look for information from the manufacturer of the cell in question about storage and lifetime for something definitive.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
I have a PCB with a soldered CR2032 battery and I store this PCB for a long time. My question is whether the CR2032 will release an acidic or corrosive compound on the PCB, corroding it
Hi B,
I think if you soak the PCB with liquid flux and blow it with hot air, and repeat till it cleans up, you should be able to assess things better.
Cheers, Camerart

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi B,
I think if you soak the PCB with liquid flux and blow it with hot air, and repeat till it cleans up, you should be able to assess things better.
Cheers, Camerart
He doesn’t have a problem at this time, he is trying to avoid one. He is wondering if lithium cells like the CR2032 will leak and damage PCBs if stored long term, and the photos seem to be of that happening. From what I can see, the cell is not the cause of these problem cases but a victim of whatever the root cause is (I believe it is water damage).

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
He doesn’t have a problem at this time, he is trying to avoid one. He is wondering if lithium cells like the CR2032 will leak and damage PCBs if stored long term, and the photos seem to be of that happening. From what I can see, the cell is not the cause of these problem cases but a victim of whatever the root cause is (I believe it is water damage).
Hi Y,
Ok, fine.
I have sprays that help to seal water from connectors and components.
C

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi Y,
Ok, fine.
I have sprays that help to seal water from connectors and components.
C
Conformal coatings are a great idea if boards have to be exposed to moisture. Even if that’s too much for a given application, they should be stored with a good dessicant in sealed plastic bags.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There is a possibility of damaging one of those cells by attempting to charge it.
I have seen a fool cause one to explode by doing that. But that is a very different situation.
Forcing current into a hermetic sealed battery is inviting severe damage.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Really? I've found whitish deposits around the seals of several CR2032 cells kept for a few years in their original packaging in dry conditions.
Lithium manganese coin cells have gas release vents for cases of extreme over pressure. It is possible for the contents to migrate out from the cell in tiny amounts, which is what that powder is. Why it happens varies—high temperature, mechanical shock, and in some cases I think from excessive self discharge.

The difference is that the powdery stuff is not ever in a large quantity and it contains very little liquid. I have seen cells like you are describing but I have never seen cells that did anything like the pictures provided.

I wasn’t very precise in my description. Lithium cells don’t leak in the way alkaline cells do. And a PCB mounted cell could leak in the way that puts a white film on the cell, but it is standing off from the board, and can‘t do damage. I have a lot of old gear that uses CR2032 and larger cells PCB-mounted. I have never seen a board damaged by one.

I have to admit I am talking about good quality cells like Renata, Panasonic, and the like. There is an electrolyte that can leak from a coin cell, and there is a gas release vent, so with poor construction or materials, it‘s possible things could be worse than I have seen.

I will say that I am confident about storing PCBs with board mounted cells on them, but I could be wrong so take it as my opinion. I do remove coin cells from boards with holders if I am just stowing them and don’t have any idea when I would use them again but I don’t see the risk as great enough to desolder them.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
In doing some research the only leakage mechanism I can find mentioned is high temperature storage causing electrolyte migration from the cell’s crimp seal. Maxim has a good app note on predicting battery life for these sorts of applications, and they mention it too.

barretff7

Joined Nov 16, 2022
From your experience, all these images are leaks from the CR2032 or something external that is not related to this CR2032 battery.

I don't know what the internal construction of the CR2032 is and if its chemistry undergoes reactions that turns into some corrosive compound for the PCB board and the metal fitting of this battery

the temperature where I live ranges from 33-35C is this enough for the CR2032 to leak?

my PCB not appears brand cr2032
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hfdf33a9...jogos-sd2snes-rev-x-vers-o-pro-diy-16-bit.jpg

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
From your experience, all these images are leaks from the CR2032 or something external that is not related to this CR2032 battery.

I don't know what the internal construction of the CR2032 is and if its chemistry undergoes reactions that turns into some corrosive compound for the PCB board and the metal fitting of this battery

the temperature where I live ranges from 33-35C is this enough for the CR2032 to leak?

my PCB not appears brand cr2032
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hfdf33a9...jogos-sd2snes-rev-x-vers-o-pro-diy-16-bit.jpg
The PCBs seemed to have water damage. The one bare cell did leak, but who knows why? To decide if the temperature is too high, the best thing is to find the manufacturer's datasheet which will specify storage temperature range.

barretff7

Joined Nov 16, 2022

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Be safe. Remove it. Whether or not the battery leaks, is a function of the quality of the manufacture of the battery. CR2032 are so common, I wouldn't trust it for long term unused storage. Safer to simply remove it. I agree with other posters that you *might* not have a problem, but.... it's your choice.

barretff7

Joined Nov 16, 2022
yes i am storing it long term for years but if it doesn't leak i would keep it on the pcb and not open the devices but i don't know if it leaks or not

Status
Not open for further replies.