Question about resistors

Craigbear

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Hi there. Please excuse my ignorance, I have no knowledge of electronics or math. I just wanted to ask some advice. I have a transformer giving 6v to 9v. I’d like to put some components onto the out of the transformer to make 3 separate channels each of 3v. Would resistors be the best way to do this? If so, could anyone tell me what value the resistors should have to give 3 channels of 3v each from the 9v transformer output? Also, could anyone please tell me the values for the resistors to give 2 channels of 3v and 6v respectively from the 9v transformer output?
Excuse me if I am unclear or have the idea wrong. I’m just an amateur tinkering with a project.
Many thanks in advance for your help.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

Any value resistors will do it... but, and that's a big BUT...
You have told us nothing about how much current you need.

In that regards, a resistor is a terrible way to supply a constant voltage.
1) the voltage will not be constant
2) resistors will get hot and waste energy

Craigbear

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Welcome to AAC!

Any value resistors will do it... but, and that's a big BUT...
You have told us nothing about how much current you need.

In that regards, a resistor is a terrible way to supply a constant voltage.
1) the voltage will not be constant
2) resistors will get hot and waste energy
Hi MrChips,
Thanks for the reply and the welcome.
What would you suggest would be the best way to split the output current please?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You must tell us how much current you need.
And if you don’t know the answer then tell us what you are attempting to do.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I have a transformer giving 6v to 9v.
Since your just starting to learn, you should be careful with your terminology.

The output of a transformer is AC. When you give a voltage without specifying AC or DC (e.g. 6V), it's assumed to be DC. Note that volts is abbreviated as V.
I’d like to put some components onto the out of the transformer to make 3 separate channels each of 3v. Would resistors be the best way to do this?
We refer to the transformer secondary as the output (not just out).
Excuse me if I am unclear or have the idea wrong. I’m just an amateur tinkering with a project.
It's a common misconception that voltage dividers can be used for power supplies. That's the the simplest and most inefficient form of voltage regulation. When you're learning electronics, they show you that so you can see how poor they are for power supplies. You then progress to zener regulation and then a linear voltage regulator.

Voltage dividers are only used when very low currents are required and efficiency isn't a concern.

Since the output of a transformer is AC, you need to rectify, filter, and regulate the AC voltage.