Question About Making Heat with Electricity

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What does the heat of fusion have to do with anything? The TS is trying to heat the steel to 1500 °F, which is WAY below the melting point of any steel (which tend to be in the 2500 °F range).
See Post #12 and #1 (" I need a final temperature of at least 1500'F ").

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
See Post #12 and #1 (" I need a final temperature of at least 1500'F ").
So?

Your objection was to a set of calculations for bringing that block of steel to 1500 °F, remarking that they ignore heat losses (even though the person making them specifically stated, "even assuming no heat loss to the environment") and that they do not include the heat of fusion. How, exactly, should the calculations that you are objecting to have taken the heat of fusion into account in calculating the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 8 cc of steel to a temperature of 1500 °F?

In Post #12, the quote clearly states, "I am trying to heat an 8cc block of steel to 1500'F". Someone OTHER than the TS makes a comment about melting the steel, and so now everyone has to somehow take the heat of fusion into account when calculating the energy needed to bring the steel to 1500 °F because, in their inital post, they said, "at least" 1500°F? Well, if they have to do that, shouldn't they also have to take into account the heat of vaporization?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@WBahn
It seems you have an irresistible urge to draw this thread off subject, because I added a little additional information clearly relative to Post #12 and the TS's clearly stated goal of heating the block to 1500°F or more. There was also significant talk about plasma arc torches and melting molybdenum. My experience with plasma arc torches (TIG welder) is that simple through-heating a metal without any surface overheating can be difficult. That's why I only use acetylene/oxygen, MAPP, or similar for that purpose.

Please take your urges somewhere else so as not to hijack this thread. If you found the subject of melting so OT, you should have brought it up earlier (i.e., Post#12).