Question about making a winch controller for a rc winch

bigdodge

Joined Jan 25, 2011
Hello guys and gays. I'm really new to the whole building a circuit stuff. Here's what I want to try to do. I can buy the item that I want but I would really like to try to build it.

I run rc crawlers and I run a winch. The problem I have is my current controller will allow the winch to creep the line out when under a load. I've read that if both wires on the winch are shorted together then that will create a brake.

I need a small device that will take my pwm signal from my receiver and allow me to have forward and reverse control along with brake.

I have a couple old servos I could take apart for some Componets. But I would really like to build something from the beginning.

I do have a dozen or so relays that take 5 volt to activate the coil. The contacts are rated for 30.

I'm just not sure how to conver the pwm signal to fire the relays.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Shorting the motor wires will act as a brake and make it harder to pull the winch wire out but it won't lock it solid which is what you need by the sound of it. I can't see a way of ensuring that the motor doesn't turn without some measure of its motion.

bigdodge

Joined Jan 25, 2011
There is a couple companies that offer a controller that does lock it sold. I just have no idea how they are doing it. Mabey a resistor between the 2 motor wires.

Also there is a gear box between the winch motor and the spool that holds the winch line. So when the the line is pulled it turns the motor faster then if the line was directly connected to the motors output shaft.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm just not sure how to conver the pwm signal to fire the relays.
So it sounds like your winch motor is a servo that accepts a PWM signal? Is that right?
If so, and your controller is sending it a zero signal (50% duty cycle I assume?) and it's still moving, then something is wrong with the tuning. Does it use PID? Is there any trim adjustment?

bigdodge

Joined Jan 25, 2011
The winch is just a motor in a housing. Just like the one in the picture.

The rc pwm needs to control 2 relays for a fwd/rev control of the winch. I'm mainly trying to figure out what components I need to have the pwm signal turned into two power outputs for the relays

This is a link to a controller I could buy.

Attachments