Question about low resistance

mohsen 2012

Joined May 15, 2014
Hi guys , i have a chainsaw like this :

but i noticed that the impedance between his power cord when i push ON is 14 ohms ! so i want to know if this low resistance is normal or can be dangerous . i dont test it yet

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That's not a chainsaw, it's an angle grinder. You are measuring resistance not impedance. They are both measured in ohms, but one is DC and the other AC.

14Ω is a totally normal resistance for a motor like that.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You have posted a picture of an angle grinder but you are asking about a chain saw. You give no information on the voltage and power rating so we can not check a tool with a similar rating motor. (Ideally you should compare it with another of the same model.) Series wound (Universal) motors do tend to have quite a low resistance. If it is quite a high power motor then 14 ohms is not unreasonable particularly if your mains voltage is 110 volts.

Les.

mohsen 2012

Joined May 15, 2014
Ok , i dont know what is the name of this machine , but google traduction say chain saw .
Voltage : 220 ac
Power 1010 watts .
Thanks

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I have just measured the resistance of one of my small angle grinders. It is rated at 900 Watts 230 volts. It's resistance is 11 ohms. I am pretty sure that the 14 ohms that you measured is OK. If you bought your angle grinder thinking it was a chain saw DO NOT try to use it for cutting trees.

Les.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
@shortbus: I'd hate to see what happens when the TS tries one of those on ceramics. On the other hand - - - .

I modified a Biscuit Cutting blade to fit my angle grinder. It's just slightly larger than what the safety guard would allow. I seldom use it because of the extreme scary danger to my hands. Wearing gloves, the blade would quickly and easily pull my hand into the blade if ever it touched the glove. I did that once and for a single (DANGEROUS) purpose, to cut out a plastic section inside a lawn sprinkler control box (underground) so it could be made to fit. There were no market available solutions to my situation so I had to improvise. But believe me - the adrenaline was flowing the whole time.

[edit] and no, I DON'T RECOMMEND DOING AS I DID.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
@shortbus: I'd hate to see what happens when the TS tries one of those on ceramics. On the other hand - - - .

I modified a Biscuit Cutting blade to fit my angle grinder. It's just slightly larger than what the safety guard would allow. I seldom use it because of the extreme scary danger to my hands. Wearing gloves, the blade would quickly and easily pull my hand into the blade if ever it touched the glove. I did that once and for a single (DANGEROUS) purpose, to cut out a plastic section inside a lawn sprinkler control box (underground) so it could be made to fit. There were no market available solutions to my situation so I had to improvise. But believe me - the adrenaline was flowing the whole time.
Oscillating saws are good for this sort of thing.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Oscillating saws are good for this sort of thing.
Actually, no. The whole reason behind using a circular blade was because of the space where I needed to cut/modify. A reciprocating saw would not have fit. Not even a small jig-saw. Even cutting the material away by hand would have been next to impossible. I MIGHT have been able to use a hammer and chisel, but the plastic was pretty tough. I KNOW - I KNOW, "Plastic". Even still, chiseling out the area might have fractured the body and rendered the whole thing useless.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The whole point to this thread is how to cut ceramics using an angle grinder. I've used my angle grinder to cut many a ceramic tile. Even cut stone and brick using a diamond saw blade such as I linked. And the point made earlier, USE A DUST MASK!

[edit] I guess the TRUE point to this thread is whether the motor on this grinder is safe to use. The consensus is "Yes, it is safe to use." It's actually a side point about cutting ceramics.