Question About Closing Tabs In Internet Explorer

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I'm running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.

When I click the "X" on a given tab to close a page, it also closes another tab to the left of it (which is usually my GMail page) and on occasions, that completely closes IE as well.

However, I can also use CTRL + W to close the immediate tab and that doesn't close IE. There is a little problem that my screen goes dark for a fraction of a second during the transition. I guess the dark screen is because the display driver momentarily stops working.

My question is why does clicking the "X" on one tab also close multiple tabs and why does my screen go dark when I close using CTRL+ W?

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Don't know, Glenn. I use Firefox but fired up IE 11 on Win7 64-Pro for you and it seemed to work like it should. Ctrl-W closed the current tab as did clicking the X on a tab. Closing the last tab exits the browser. No dark screen encountered at all - NVIDIA graphics.
Could be a driver issue. Is everything up to date? Using IE 11?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Most of the time (like 80%), I can close a tab with just one mouse click and it just closes the immediate tab.

Other times, it closes multiple tabs and occasionally, the whole browser closes.

So I'm wondering if my mouse has a problem.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Maybe a bad mouse but the closing Xes would have to find their way under the cursor I would think. Try another one.

Re the dark screen: Looking at mine one more time the browser window exits and takes its image with it. There is a very brief dark square where the browser window was then Windows refreshes the area with what's under it. That takes some computing time - maybe your machine is low on RAM and its having to go to virtual memory on disk. That would be slow and might account for the brief black square, its just taking time to redraw the screen content under the closed IE window.
You can check the RAM used vs. needed in the task manager's (CTRL_ALT_DEL to enter) performance tab and resource monitor. If Used Physical Memory is close to 100% that could be an indicator that you need more RAM. How much RAM do you have? Keep in mind that if you have a lot of things going without enough RAM, things get slow.

If its better after a cold restart, that would be a good indication that you are running out of resources. Inspect your CPU load and disk performance in task manager. Anything close to a limit will cause things to run slower.
Just guessing though. Other members here are better versed in Windows issues than I am. Hopefully some will chime in soon.

Good luck.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
When I close the right-most tab, the tab immediately to the left of it "expands" to where the original tab was located. It can be under the cursor and if I click more than once, it will be closed.

The dark window is very brief and occurs only when using CTRL + W to close a tab. otherwise everything works OK.

I also use Task Manager to monitor CPU use and some sites (like Facebook) can use nearly 80% of both cores. The banner ads on Youtube are another CPU hog. However, once I click [X], CPU drops to only 20% or less. I sent a message to Youtube about the problem two months ago, but they still haven't fixed it.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Sounds like it could be the mouse if it multi clicks. I had one that got that way - its sleeping in e-cycle now.

Try Firefox with the AdBlock Plus and Toggle Animated GIFs extensions. No more banner ads and flashing GIFs to hog resources.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
My question to you is why the heck are you still using IE? This is EXACTLY one of the MANY reasons I avoid it at all costs. Get Chrome or Firefox :p

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Had a similar problem. When I suspected I was getting undesired double (multiple? ) clicks I started to press down here and release somewhere there, what proved the clicking anomaly because unexpected closing (or opening) did not happen again.

In my case seemed a software problem more than hardware.

What seemed the cure was a reset (PC stays on for weeks and sleeps when not in use).

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
@DerStrom8
What are the advantages of Chrome of Firefox over IE?
Hmm, let's see:
  • Faster
  • Cleaner layout
  • More intuitive
  • Better extensions
  • More settings
  • More personalization
  • Fewer background processes
  • More complete developer options (for advanced users)
  • Generally fewer bugs
Something I noticed once when debugging a web application I wrote at my old job in IE was that every time you move your cursor in the browser, it runs a script. I expect this is part of the reason IE is so slow.

Others, feel free to add more.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Hmm, let's see:
  • Faster
  • Cleaner layout
  • More intuitive
  • Better extensions
  • More settings
  • More personalization
  • Fewer background processes
  • More complete developer options (for advanced users)
  • Generally fewer bugs
Something I noticed once when debugging a web application I wrote at my old job in IE was that every time you move your cursor in the browser, it runs a script. I expect this is part of the reason IE is so slow.

Others, feel free to add more.
While I am not a fan of my personal data being flung about the cloud, I like that my bookmarks and history are synced across all my Chrome/Chromium browsers via gmail.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
While I am not a fan of my personal data being flung about the cloud, I like that my bookmarks and history are synced across all my Chrome/Chromium browsers via gmail.
The benefit of Chrome is that you can turn syncing on and off, but as you know you can't have your bookmarks without it. I don't normally like my work or preferences to be in the cloud, but ultimately in this case it's worth it IMO.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I am not an expert, but chrome will respond to a RTC poll. At least that's what I call it.

A RTCPeerConnection is the proper name I believe.

You can not turn this function off in chrome.

IE didn't have it, but not sure of the new versions.

In FF, you can turn it off.

It reveals your physical IP and lan address, if on one.

It's for real time video and audio.

To see your browser's response to such a poll..............

https://ipleak.net/