Question about air conditioner IPM module.

Th.Mihov

Joined Feb 2, 2017
Hi everyone.
I'm working on my home heating project for which i need a split air conditioner's outdoor unit.
The problem is that my unit's (Inverter type,single phase 230V) defrosting algorithm is not good and efficient.Reliability is poor too (bad sensor placement,quality) ...
For that reason i want to eliminate my original power module and drive the compressor,fan and 4-way valve with my own electronics.
Writing the control software is not a problem but,i'm not quite sure that i understand how to control the IPM module.
For example this one - PS21867-P (http://www.pwrx.com/pwrx/docs/ps21867-p.pdf)
Am i correct that i need to provide a phase shifted PWM signal with given frequency at Un,Vn and Wn inputs and just power the drivers or not?
Thanks in advance.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I imagine @#12 does, but I suspect he would recommend fixing whatever is wrong with the existing electronics rather than starting at zero with a DIY solution. Anyway that's my suggestion. If the sensors are poor and badly placed, fix that first.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@wayneh
I read the datasheet provided in post #1 (yesterday) and it doesn't say what signal this motor driver module is expecting. The datasheet says the PWM input frequency is 5KHz but I can't imagine why a motor driver would want 5000 Hz to tell it when to start a motor.

It is called an, "Intelligent Power Module" but there is no statement about what it does except provide power to 3 phase motors.
There is no statement about what it needs to decide to provide power.
There is no statement about variable frequency or variable speed drive.

I can only say, "Ask the manufacturer."
I don't even know what this module does, and I read the datasheet!
It just looks like a $1000 repair problem used to drive a $200 motor.