Question about a SSTC schematic

PaulFreeman96

Joined Aug 13, 2018
Hello

I have recently created a schematic of a class E SSTC. I want to try to build it in the nearest future but first I wanted to ask experienced people to give me some advices related to this circuit. (I would be thankful for any opinion it doesnt matter if positive or negative, I just want to move forward with my knowledge and skills :) ) Here is the schematic: (i forgot to connect +5V to VDD pin of the shmidtt trigger, I expect the resonance frequency to be around 100kHz or less, aaannnddd I have drawn the noninverting opamp incorrectly sorry ;)
) Schematic_SSTC-class-E-v.2-PailFreeman---PailFreeman_Sheet-1_20180813173355.png

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Here is the schematic: (i forgot to connect +5V to VDD pin of the shmidtt trigger, I expect the resonance frequency to be around 100kHz or less, aaannnddd I have drawn the noninverting opamp incorrectly sorry
What is an SSTC?

My 2 cents is that you should redraw the schematic with the corrections you noted before asking anyone to analyze or critique.

Regarding your schematic drawing style; it's lacking.

We generally prefer for logic symbols to be used instead of package outlines (e.g. the CD40106). It would be easier to discern function if you simply drew the two inverters you're using. Similarly, the rats nest of wires for the MOSFETs does nothing to help convey circuit intent/functionality.

"Flow" is primarily left to right and top to bottom, as most prefer, but the unnecessary wire jogs are distracting.

Lastly, schematics are generally monochrome and we don't need to see the whole style sheet, unless it has relevant information such as revision date/version, etc. In other words, "single space" your schematic and avoid unnecessary whitespace.

PaulFreeman96

Joined Aug 13, 2018
Welcome to AAC!
What is an SSTC?

My 2 cents is that you should redraw the schematic with the corrections you noted before asking anyone to analyze or critique.

Regarding your schematic drawing style; it's lacking.

We generally prefer for logic symbols to be used instead of package outlines (e.g. the CD40106). It would be easier to discern function if you simply drew the two inverters you're using. Similarly, the rats nest of wires for the MOSFETs does nothing to help convey circuit intent/functionality.

"Flow" is primarily left to right and top to bottom, as most prefer, but the unnecessary wire jogs are distracting.

Lastly, schematics are generally monochrome and we don't need to see the whole style sheet, unless it has relevant information such as revision date/version, etc. In other words, "single space" your schematic and avoid unnecessary whitespace.
Thanks for your opinion! I appreciate your advices I ll try to draw schematics more precisely ;) But after the recognition of this schematic do you think that it makes any sense? I

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As I see this Solid State Tesla Coil, the coil on top of the mosfets is part of T2, on the bottom right of the schematic.
The 1 turn coil of T2 is the signal feedback for the oscillator.
Gate F of the 40106 is a pulse shaper for the gate driver U1 of the mosfets.
Pin 3 of U1 is used to modulate the Tesla Coil.
When the switch is in position 1, there is a fixed frequency coming from the TL494.
When the switch is in position 2, the music will modulate the Tesla Coil.
The signal from the music is squared by gate A of the 40106.

Bertus

PaulFreeman96

Joined Aug 13, 2018
Hello,

As I see this Solid State Tesla Coil, the coil on top of the mosfets is part of T2, on the bottom right of the schematic.
The 1 turn coil of T2 is the signal feedback for the oscillator.
Gate F of the 40106 is a pulse shaper for the gate driver U1 of the mosfets.
Pin 3 of U1 us used to modulate the Tesla Coil.
When the switch is in position 1, there is a fixed frequency coming from the TL494.
When the switch is in position 2, the music will modulate the Tesla Coil.

Bertus
Yes, you are absolutely right ;) Do you think that it's gonna work? I have already prototyped the audio modulation section and the feedback section and each of them works perfectly fine. Here s correct and more precise schematicSSTC V.3 scheme.png

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You are now using two gates in series for each signal, as in the original schematic there is one gate in each signal.
If the Tesla Coil won't oscillate, exchange the connections of the 1 turn coil on T2.

Bertus

PaulFreeman96

Joined Aug 13, 2018
Hello,

You are now using two gates in series for each signal, as in the original schematic there is one gate in each signal.
If the Tesla Coil won't oscillate, exchange the connections of the 1 turn coil on T2.

Bertus
Thanks for your help :) I really appreciate