Question about a 2P+E plug.

imnotosureabouthis

Joined Jul 19, 2018
I have a Jackhammer rated at 110v @ 50hz and a Scame IP44 16A 4h 100-130V AC 2P+E plug attached to it. What would I need to do to get it to work in the US?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The plug it has seems to be a 2 wire with ground rated for 120 volt 16 amp service. I would replace it with a NEMA 5-20P plug which will mate with a NEMA 5-20S Socket. The horizontal blade is common.

What I am unsure of is the jackhammer is likely a vibrating type designed for 50 Hz current and the US standard is 60 Hz. What it comes down to is it will try to vibrate slightly faster on 60 Hz. than the 50 Hz. it was designed for. That could lead to it heating up more than normal. You may want to call the company who made it for reassurance it will run on 60 Hz.

Without seeing the unit and knowing exactly how it is designed that is about all I can suggest.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Thank you for the reply! Is there a difference in using a standard plug? As in not one with a T slot and maybe using a regular type B plug?
The NEMA 5-15 plug and socket also called a Type B which is the common US type is rated for 15 amps.The only reason I suggested the NEMA 5-20 plug was because your referenced plug, a Scame IP44 16A 4h 100-130V AC 2P+E plug is rated for 16 amp service. Would it really matter? While I doubt it that 1 amp over the NEMA 5-15 would matter I suggested the NEMA 5-20 simply in the best interest of your question. Since your referenced plug exceeds the max rating of the everyday 5-15 plug I suggested a 5-20. Not knowing the typical current draw of the tool, a jackhammer, I wanted some room. :) So will an everyday North American 15 amp rated NEMA 5-15 plug work, yes, most likely. Will I suggest using one to replace the referenced plug? Nope.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If that's the current draw I would just use a good quality NEMA 5-15 and see how it works out. Initially I would just feel it every now and then to see if it is getting hot. I am still not sure about the 60 verse 50 Hz. I would just try it and see.

Ron

There's some weird things that happen with stuff like nail clippers that don't work on the wrong frequency.

If designed for 50 Hz, you have a better chance of it working without it getting hot at 60 Hz. The RPM (impacts/min) will be slightly different.