Question about 4093 oscillator

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Just I would like to add a volume + a kind of simple effect. Could you to help me with a schematic?
A volume control is at the input of an audio amplifier, not on this oscillator circuit.
The article shows a second circuit with a much larger timing capacitor causing this oscillator to beep on and off for an effect.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Why do you want to add an old fashioned battery-eating 555 oscillator?
You can make 4 oscillators with one CD4093 or make 6 oscillators with one CD40106.

You did not say it but maybe you want a 555 oscillator to drive a speaker with about 1W and have one CD4093 oscillator to beep the 555 on and off?
Then use a second 4093 oscillator to slowly turn the beeping on and off.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Off subject a little, but using a similar oscillator circuit.
Years ago I made Christmas lights based around a 74HC16 HEX Schmitt inverter.It has 24 LEDs, each connected on lengths of twin lead so they can be draped around the tree.

74HC14 Chrustmas lights.jpg
It was all birds nest constructed on the pins of the IC.
I don't think I used a series resistor to limit the LED current, but a 100R from the output to the LEDs could be added if required.
Having 4 LEDs in series across the 5V is ok as the forward voltage drop is greater than 5V.
So, the top 2 LEDs light, then the bottom pair. Each of the 6 inverters in the IC drive 4 LEDs.
This gets dragged out every Christmas, as it has for the last 20 or so years.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The author says:
Did you?
One thing not mentioned is that with a CMOS IC ALL of the inputs must be connected to something so that they do not float. So if you want an oscillator using one of the four gates then the unused six inputs of the other three gates should be grounded or it will not work.