Quest for proper Tesla Coil driving circuit!

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
The idea of creating arcs and watching them fascinates me since childhood. When I was just a kid I saw on TV that guys passing millions of volts through their body and performing shows by using Tesla coil. Now i want my own, just to clear not the one that produces millions of volts but its should be enough that could create arcs of about 4 to 5 inches.
I did some research on it on internet and found slayer exciter circuit that does the same but is inefficient in creating arcs. On YouTube i found ELECTROBOOMs' schematic that is powerful enough to create arcs but lacks auto adjustment of resonance frequency. GREATSCOTTs' design requires oscilloscope for tuning it and so its out of my scope.
So i want a guide who can guide me to make a schematic that is powerful enough to create arcs and also not that much complicated.

Actually I've made the secondary of Tesla coil which contains 1200 rounds of 36 gauge wire around 4.5cm core. And it works fine with poor man's slayer exciter.
If the dimensions are less I will pump it up if needed, all i want is it to work.

Also i have plans for merging both the schematics, if that is possible. Here's the circuit diagram of GREATSCOTTs
FN2VGQDJ2UPIWOS.LARGE.jpg
And here is ELECTRRBOOMs
Basic-Schematic-1024x576.jpg

Thanks

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
You are most likely to succeed if you use a proven design and duplicate it.

The traditional spark gap is the simplest way to drive it.

Bob

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
You are most likely to succeed if you use a proven design and duplicate it.

The traditional spark gap is the simplest way to drive it.

Bob
Yes I thought about it too but how to produce high enough voltage that could power the coil.
Does bug zapper circuit have potential to power it with some alterations? I mean that's the most common circuit one could find to create high voltages despite bulky and expensive transformers.

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Your "Primary-to-Secondary Turns Ratio" will determine the voltage required on your Primary Winding
12 turns on the Primary Winding will Step-Up the voltage by a factor of 100 = ( 1200 turns sec / 12 turns pri )
300,000 volts secondary winding / 100 Turns-Ratio = 3,000 volts primary winding

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Have no much experience over the 1 meter sized device, but for it I may extract some deep-water conclusions:
1) The circuit MUST be self-oscillatory, because a least deviation off the equivalent wave impedance of coil as well the frequency will diminish voltages for orders of magnitude. The most advanced systems even tries to compass the loss of impedance by gradually changing a size of pipe along the length, making increasing winding turns distance etc quirkies, but they get much greater voltages in result.
2) Thus the most widespread circuit named KACHER has thousands of publications in russian websites, just apply the translit.net for picking the russian letterset and Yandex.ru for searching (Google are bad for non-latin based searches) - [схема качера для катушки Тэсла]. The reading You may provide by translate.google.com
BUT this infamous circuit of bloking-generator (however each Tesla-zealous soldier will kill me calling it so because there are SO many So important differences that noone may name it none) - https://amperof.ru/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/7-Shema-na-polevom-tranzistore.jpg. The main problem with this circuit is that all the current is going via gate. In result, if streamer gets to earth, You have to resolder transistor. As well, any objects are acting solely only if human (antenna) is touching em, but dead as always if hanging for example in rope.
3) Thus, I am much sure the good kacher (translation swing/shake-er+burner) must be still self-oscillating BUT two-phase like half-bridge, where all the current is going by source-drain and has direct link to gnd (earth).