Query Transistors

redsierra

Joined Oct 20, 2011
My problem on checking transistors for polarity and defects prior to soldering, it resulted that the outer lead of the three leads was the Base.
I checked these with DMM and confirmed by using Peak Atlas DCA Pro.
The circuit diagram symbol showed that the center pin is Base for all transistors in circuit.
Since I always dealt with transistors whose base is Pin 2 these finds (outer Pin 3 ) is confusing as how to solder it to PCB without crossing over pin 2 and 3 and creating a short.
Your help will be appreciated.

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Cut a bit of insulation off a wire and slide it on one leg of the transistor. Then you can cross its legs without a short.;)

redsierra

Joined Oct 20, 2011
These transistors were supplied with the Sound Reversing Car kit.
Look at attachment in the first thread.
Also the holes in the PCB don't look that leads should be cross and I'm afraid to short things up as according to schematic which I uploaded,
TR1 Base to C1/R7/R3, Emitter to GND and Collector yo R4/Base of TR2

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
These transistors were supplied with the Sound Reversing Car kit.
Look at attachment in the first thread.
If you're replying to me; I did look at the attachment. But, it wasn't clear from your post that the transistors you were testing came with the kit.

I took the transistors labeled as C945 to be 2SC945 which uses the pinout common to Japanese transistors.

redsierra

Joined Oct 20, 2011
If you're replying to me; I did look at the attachment. But, it wasn't clear from your post that the transistors you were testing came with the kit.

I took the transistors labeled as C945 to be 2SC945 which uses the pinout common to Japanese transistors.
My apology for not mentioning the items were supplied with the kit; but I was replying generally for who ever wish to give further information on the matter as I am still no wiser.
Looking at the schematic it shows TR1 Base to C1/R7/R3, Emitter to GND, and Collector to R4/Base of TR2.
Transistors supplied with kit C945, 8050SL and 8550SL all showing base as center pin 2 but tests showed Pin 3 (outer pin) as Base.
Regards to all