QQ: how do you get "active member" or "expert" designation?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by -live wire-, Apr 23, 2018.

Is it automatic and based on posts and your profile OR do mods control what you are called?

1. Moderators control it.

100.0%
  2. It is done by bots.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Thanks, bertus. I didn't know that the titles depended on the Trophy Points -- I assumed it was strictly on post counts. This explains a few of the little inconsistencies that I've thought I've seen from time to time.

It might be worth posting that chart on the same page as the Trophy Point values so that members that care or are interested can find it and so that we can point them there if needed.

-live wire- likes this.
  2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    That's the page I'm talking about. There is nothing on that page, or anywhere else that a non-admin can access (that I am aware of), that indicates what AAC Fanatic means or how to earn it or how to move past it.

What I am suggesting is that the chart you posted earlier showing the points needed to get each title be added to the bottom of the Trophy Points page.

Ideally it would be linked so that if the owner/admins change the definitions the chart will change accordingly. But we already know that this is not the case for the Trophy Points since there was the bug that I report a few times before it got fixed (and fixing it was, quite understandably, a low priority).

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Those texts can only be adapted by @jrap .
    It would indeed be a good idea.

Bertus

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I humbly submit that there might also be options as to what you are labeled. While being called an “expert” is flattering, I’m the first to admit that I’m no expert on most of the topics people come her for. I don’t know what adjective I would prefer but “expert” makes me cringe.

-live wire- likes this.
  6. BR-549

Distinguished Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I have PMed them several times asking to change my title to "Crackpot"....and then to "Official AAC Crackpot"....thinking it might help. But they won't do it. And I have earned it.

-live wire- and wayneh like this.
  7. BR-549

Distinguished Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Many are called and many try hard...but few indeed are officially awarded a title as such. It would be the cherry on top.....before my inter(maybe outer) dimensional transition.

8. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    I'll accept "Dirty Ol' Man".

BR-549 likes this.
  9. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Most people that have been on a forum or two quickly realize that the titles are auto determined based on post count or something related and have very little actual meaning beyond a recognition that people that stay active on a board for an extended period of time tend to be more likely to be worth listening to. Certainly plenty of exceptions exist but they become pretty easy to spot.

Some boards will let members that pay a premium choose their own title as a token of appreciation.

10. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I just went into my profile to check something and saw that, under the place where I can select my avatar is a place for me to put whatever title I want under my username. It's possible that this is only enabled for staff (but usually the staff keep the staff titles as they actually serve a purpose). So you might check to see if that option is available to you.

11. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Those "qualifications" mean nothing to me and I would be fine if not being assigned one, whatever it is.

The "like" system tends to identify helpful members better but not much.

The trophies system incites some people to even ask for "likes" as in YouTube... but the worst is people posting "thanks", "me too", "I cannot help" and other similar inanities just to increase their post count. There is a brilliant EE in the Microchip forum who in spite of that, climbed to the top with that technique. Childish.

ericgibbs and shortbus like this.
  12. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    What do you guy's have against "participation trophy's"?:p:rolleyes:;)

KJ6EAD, -live wire- and cmartinez like this.
  13. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    To answer your rhetorical question; most of us have dedicated a great deal of time and energy to "reality-based systems" where competence preceeds confidence and accomplishment preceeds accolade. Participation trophies are thus anathema to our philosophy.

14. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    The argument that a supporter of the ranking system (and I'm not, just playing Devil's advocate) is that "likes" are a proxy for competence (on the theory that, on balance, people "like" posts that have offered something of value) and post count is a proxy for accomplishment (on the theory that, on balance, it is unlikely that someone has made thousands and thousands of posts without contributing a fair amount). The argument would also claim that while the proxies might not be perfect, they are better than nothing. Even if that is debatable (which I would say it is), it is still arguable that people are free to take it into account or to ignore it.

But at the end of the day it is really a moot point since the owner is the person that decided to use the forum software's ranking/trophy system and it is only the owner that can change it. It's very possible that it seemed like an easy and reasonable thing to do when the forum was first created to encourage active participation on a new forum with no history or archive or reputation. At this point, changing it or eliminating it is simply near the very bottom of a list of items and, as such, is likely to never get addressed unless a convincing case can be made that its presence is actively detrimental to the forum, and that's a pretty hard thing to do.

KJ6EAD likes this.