QQ: how do you get "active member" or "expert" designation?

Is it automatic and based on posts and your profile OR do mods control what you are called?

• Total voters

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
So how do you get the designation of active member, expert, or anything like that? Is it automatic or does a moderator give it to you? I'm just curious. Thanks,
-live wire-

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
Oh. In my opinion, saying more doesn't make you more knowledgeable or experienced.
You are absolutly correct, it's a flawed system. I have seen people with high ratings because of their post count, but if you were to look at all of their posts every one of them was asking for help. Not a single one was giving any help.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Nearly all forums use a similar system of awarding titles based on post count, often with some kind of flashy icon to go along with it. There are also "Trophy Points" and "Likes". The goal (of the developers of the forum software) is to encourage active participation based on something that requires no time and effort on the part of the forum staff. This is why you see many awards in rapid succession for people with very few posts and much slower awards for people with high post counts -- the developers know that it is important to "hook" people early on by any means they can think of but that once someone is hooked, that for most the awards mean very little.

All of them are completely arbitrary and of very little meaning beyond, possibly, a general relationship between someone's longtime, active participation that has garnered a lot of Likes and the quality of their contributions. It can never be a guarantee of quality in any specific instance.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
They should allow mods to at least demote or promote someone based on their post content.
The forum almost certainly has that ability (most do), but think about what you are asking for and the can of worms it would open.

First, the mod staff would have the added burden of monitoring the content of a upwards of half a million members and deciding, on an individual basis, whether a member's content merits that they be promoted or demoted.

Second, anyone whose rank was demoted would complain about it, either publicly or via PM to the staff.

Third, many members who weren't promoted would complain about it, either publicly or via PM to the staff.

Fourth, it would be a never ending source of sniping between members tangling over whether their status was deserved or not.

No thanks!

My recommendation?

If you don't find it useful, ignore it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What difference does it make? I preferred being called a "Distinguished Member", now I'm a Fanatic; I've gotten over it...

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
It just worries me to death. Something has to be done about this. It's a subversion of diversity.

Or was that a diversity of subversion? I get them mixed up.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
What difference does it make? I preferred being called a "Distinguished Member", now I'm a Fanatic; I've gotten over it...
I find the fanatic label slightly offputting as well. How many more posts do you need to level up in this game? ;)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I find the fanatic label slightly offputting as well. How many more posts do you need to level up in this game? ;)
I'm not aware of a page that gives the thresholds. Back before the switch to XenForo, it was a simple matter to just do a binary search through the member pages to find them.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I'm not aware of a page that gives the thresholds. Back before the switch to XenForo, it was a simple matter to just do a binary search through the member pages to find them.
On that matter, is there a place on the forum where we can find statistics such as membership totals, rates, number of members in each user title, possibly even a description of the titling algorithm as currently configured? I do get curious about these things occasionally.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
On that matter, is there a place on the forum where we can find statistics such as membership totals, rates, number of members in each user title, possibly even a description of the titling algorithm as currently configured? I do get curious about these things occasionally.
Other than the "Trophy Points" definitions, I'm not aware of anything of significance. On a couple of the main pages some basic numbers such as total members, threads, and posts are provided in the side bar.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The user title is given automaticaly by the xenforo software.
The user title depends on the trophys awarded to the member:

User Title Ladder Admin CP - All About Circuits.png

The trophy points depend on several items, like how long he is a member, how many posts are made.

Trophies Admin CP - All About Circuits.png

Bertus